Discuss EICR Report Second Opinion/Explanation of Codes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have decided to move house and rent it out, I've just had an EICR report done by a local company and they've come back with a report I'd like advice on.

I'm not sure if anyone in here can help me decipher the report, or if it would be a case of getting another electrician out to re-do the test.

I've attached the full report but the major issues are:

C1 - No main earth
C2 - No bonding on gas
C2 - RCD has IP breach
C2 - Main tails undersized
C2 - DB has IP breach

I am a complete noob and have literally no idea about what any of this means, can anyone break it down in plain English and let me know if they are the correct codes and if £780 to do the repairs sounds accurate?

Many many thanks, James.
[automerge]1599743852[/automerge]
Also just to add to this, it only took the guy about half an hour to do the report, it feels like he did it as quickly as possible and left but I might just be feeling a bit devastated about paying a grand for things I didn't even know needed doing.

Have lived here for 3 years now with no issue so it's a bit hard to take, but take it I will if it's all above board.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend you remove both yours and the electrical companies details from the report.

C1 - No main earth - But he has it listed as 10mm on page 2 of the report, I suspect he has been unable to locate the earth electrode so this should attract FI (further investigation).
C2 - No bonding on gas - Fair one.
C2 - RCD has IP breach - Without seeing it I can't comment.
C2 - Main tails undersized - Should be a minimum of 16mm for the 60 amp supply fuse listed.
C2 - DB has IP breach - Without seeing it I can't comment.

Does the quote include replacing the existing consumer unit?

if the £780 includes a new CU (DB) with RCBOs, then it's not excessive. If not, it's a rip-off.

He does say he can't find the electrode, but at the same time says the main earthing conductor connections and continuity are OK, and that the electrode connection is N/A. It can't be OK, not OK and not applicable at the same time.

BTW OP you might want to repost that report without the personal and company details.

I would recommend you remove both yours and the electrical companies details from the report.

C1 - No main earth - But he has it listed as 10mm on page 2 of the report, I suspect he has been unable to locate the earth electrode so this should attract FI (further investigation).
C2 - No bonding on gas - Fair one.
C2 - RCD has IP breach - Without seeing it I can't comment.
C2 - Main tails undersized - Should be a minimum of 16mm for the 60 amp supply fuse listed.
C2 - DB has IP breach - Without seeing it I can't comment.

Does the quote include replacing the existing consumer unit?

Thanks for this. They haven't said, the guy who did the test finished, said okay I'm done and left and I got the report through via email with:

"Hi your report is attached , to remove the c2s which will also remove the item no. 6 and 7 also 780.00 inc vat".

It only took him about half an hour which I thought was pretty quick, I'd read online that it takes between 3 and 4 hours so was a bit shocked when he left.
[automerge]1599744643[/automerge]
He does say he can't find the electrode, but at the same time says the main earthing conductor connections and continuity are OK, and that the electrode connection is N/A. It can't be OK, not OK and not applicable at the same time.

BTW OP you might want to repost that report without the personal and company details.

Yeah good point, that is weird. Not that I really understand any of it but that seems quite an obvious mistake.

Not much I can do though I'd imagine so I'll have to just bite the bullet and pay, I can't really afford it but will have to find a way!

Thanks for replying.
[automerge]1599744644[/automerge]

Yeah good point, that is weird. Not that I really understand any of it but that seems quite an obvious mistake.

Not much I can do though I'd imagine so I'll have to just bite the bullet and pay, I can't really afford it but will have to find a way!

Thanks for replying.
[automerge]1599744744[/automerge]
if the £780 includes a new CU (DB) with RCBOs, then it's not excessive. If not, it's a rip-off.

Thanks for this, gives me something to go back to them with.

If it turns out to be a rip off, would you recommend arguing the ---- with them or getting another spark in to get it sorted?

it seems as though he's not including a new DB.if so, it's a rip off and you need to get another electrician to quote. a few respected members are in your area and would be happy to give you an honest quote.

it screams of a lazy rushed report imo.

Can you post some photo's of your service head & consumer unit. might give us all a better idea.

it screams of a lazy rushed report imo.

Can you post some photo's of your service head & consumer unit. might give us all a better idea.

This? Like I said mate, absolutely clueless over here so apologies!

Attachments

• EICR Report Second Opinion/Explanation of Codes 119137903_743316429837841_6646227576121721786_n - EletriciansForums.net
    119137903_743316429837841_6646227576121721786_n.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 77
  • EICR Report Second Opinion/Explanation of Codes 119003232_360927795076529_8348594222084252387_n - EletriciansForums.net
    119003232_360927795076529_8348594222084252387_n.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 77
30 minutes to do a detailed EICR is scandalous. 3 hours is about right for a 6 circuit DB. how much did he charge for this rushed EICR?

Especially as they've referenced no reg numbers against any of the observations, given very little information and want to charge nearly £800 to carry out the remedial work...

Some people out there take the P**S.

I'd be calling someone else in to quote on the remedial work...

Especially as they've referenced no reg numbers against any of the observations, given very little information and want to charge nearly £800 to carry out the remedial work...

Some people out there take the P**S.

I'd be calling someone else in to quote on the remedial work...
Yeah I've just checked and I messaged my girlfriend when he got here and when he left and he was here for bang on 45 mins.

Quite annoyed actually so I'm glad I posted it here.

I'll shop around for a cheaper option. Cheers for this.

Yeah I've just checked and I messaged my girlfriend when he got here and when he left and he was here for bang on 45 mins.

Quite annoyed actually so I'm glad I posted it here.

I'll shop around for a cheaper option. Cheers for this.

Did he even bother to ask you if you knew where the earth rod was located?

Did he even bother to ask you if you knew where the earth rod was located?

Nah. The only thing he asked me throughout the process was where the gas meter was.
[automerge]1599746257[/automerge]
30 minutes to do a detailed EICR is scandalous. 3 hours is about right for a 6 circuit DB. how much did he charge for this rushed EICR?

I've just double checked and it was actually 45 minutes so my mistake there. But still.

They charged me £144 including VAT. It was the cheapest locally available but only by about £20 so I went with them, regretting it now like!
[automerge]1599748435[/automerge]
it seems as though he's not including a new DB.if so, it's a rip off and you need to get another electrician to quote. a few respected members are in your area and would be happy to give you an honest quote.
I've asked about and have been told I'll need to do a further report before they can diagnose and fix the issues. Nightmare

Have just been in touch saying this is very expensive if it doesn't include a CU, and now it does include that.

Have also been in touch with other local companies who have said they'd need to re-do the test themselves before they could quote, so seems I'm stuck with this company as I can't really get out of it.

Feeling a bit better that it comes with the CU so will probably just bite the bullet and book it in.

Thanks for the replies btw, really helpful.

Last edited:
Nah. The only thing he asked me throughout the process was where the gas meter was.
[automerge]1599746257[/automerge]

I've just double checked and it was actually 45 minutes so my mistake there. But still.

They charged me £144 including VAT. It was the cheapest locally available but only by about £20 so I went with them, regretting it now like!
[automerge]1599748435[/automerge]

I've asked about and have been told I'll need to do a further report before they can diagnose and fix the issues. Nightmare

Have just been in touch saying this is very expensive if it doesn't include a CU, and now it does include that.

Have also been in touch with other local companies who have said they'd need to re-do the test themselves before they could quote, so seems I'm stuck with this company as I can't really get out of it.

Feeling a bit better that it comes with the CU so will probably just bite the bullet and book it in.

Thanks for the replies btw, really helpful.
45 minutes to carry out an EICR is absolutely appalling James. I'm a firm believer in not bad mouthing electricians when we get threads like this, but I cannot think of any possible reasons why 45 minutes could ever be acceptable. The quickest I have ever carried out a report was on a really small one bed flat, it took 2 hours. How much did the report cost?

I realise you feel 'stuck' with these electricians but you are not. Pay for another report by another company, ask them before hand roughly how long it will take, ask them exactly what they will be doing during the report. I would be completely happy explaining the procedure, in fact that is what should happen anyway as a matter of course before a report is carried out.

If you just want a bit of paper saying 'pass' and are not worried about safety then stay with the electrician you have used who will very likely do a very poor and lazy job of the remedial work whilst possibly leaving many other dangerous bits as you haven't actually had a report carried out, just a cursory glance. If you actually want the flat to be safe for your tenants then pay the £200 for another report from another electrician.

Last edited:
Mr Hippy Dad has nailed it there. I wouldn’t use them to do the remedials, 45 Minutes for a EICR is a Joke, I couldn’t even locate all circuits, functional tests and fill out the cert in that time. How many circuits? Got a pic of the board please?

Yeah I don't like having the mick taken like and fear they won't be able to do the job to a high standard. I asked if their quote includes a replacement consumer unit and they've said it does, but they didn't mention that before I asked so I'm a bit suspicious as you can imagine being such a beginner!
[automerge]1599771723[/automerge]
45 minutes to carry out an EICR is absolutely appalling James. I'm a firm believer in not bad mouthing electricians when we get threads like this, but I cannot think of any possible reasons why 45 minutes could ever be acceptable. The quickest I have ever carried out a report was on a really small one bed flat, it took 2 hours. How much did the report cost?

I realise you feel 'stuck' with these electricians but you are not. Pay for another report by another company, ask them before hand roughly how long it will take, ask them exactly what they will be doing during the report. I would be completely happy explaining the procedure, in fact that is what should happen anyway as a matter of course before a report is carried out.

If you just want a bit of paper saying 'pass' and are not worried about safety then stay with the electrician you have used who will very likely do a very poor and lazy job of the remedial work whilst possibly leaving many other dangerous bits as you haven't actually had a report carried out, just a cursory glance. If you actually want the flat to be safe for your tenants then pay the £200 for another report from another electrician.

Hi mate, thanks for this. The report cost me £144 including VAT, and I live in a 2-bed terraced bungalow. It's not the biggest like but I'm assuming it's larger than the flat you mentioned.

I definitely don't want it left in an unsafe position, but I also can't afford another test for it to potentially be a similar outcome in terms of cost. I've been in touch with a few other local electricians and have one or two having a look for me, so hopefully I can get it sorted without absolutely bankrupting myself!

Thanks for the reply though, I'll be sure to keep the thread updated. You're a friendly and helpful bunch in this forum!

Attachments

• EICR Report Second Opinion/Explanation of Codes 119137903_743316429837841_6646227576121721786_n - EletriciansForums.net
    119137903_743316429837841_6646227576121721786_n.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 22
  • EICR Report Second Opinion/Explanation of Codes 119003232_360927795076529_8348594222084252387_n - EletriciansForums.net
    119003232_360927795076529_8348594222084252387_n.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 23
EICR should take an absolute minimum of 3 hours. I would complain to the company, there's no way he checked the entire installation in that amount of time.
As for the price, sounds excessive to me.
Get them back to do a proper inspection, actually show you what needs doing and explain why, that's their duty to do that. And then give the repair work to another company.
Sounds like they don't want the work and are over pricing it to me.

The report is no longer visible but I could have sworn it showed BS3036 OCPD? So our man has invented... The Rewireable Circuit Breaker.

And what of that other CU or switchfuse above the RCD, that might be a 1-way Wylex from which the fuse cover is lying on the tails? Are we looking at pics of the right installation?

I have decided to move house and rent it out, I've just had an EICR report done by a local company and they've come back with a report I'd like advice on.

I'm not sure if anyone in here can help me decipher the report, or if it would be a case of getting another electrician out to re-do the test.

I've attached the full report but the major issues are:

C1 - No main earth
C2 - No bonding on gas
C2 - RCD has IP breach
C2 - Main tails undersized
C2 - DB has IP breach

I am a complete noob and have literally no idea about what any of this means, can anyone break it down in plain English and let me know if they are the correct codes and if £780 to do the repairs sounds accurate?

Many many thanks, James.
[automerge]1599743852[/automerge]
Also just to add to this, it only took the guy about half an hour to do the report, it feels like he did it as quickly as possible and left but I might just be feeling a bit devastated about paying a grand for things I didn't even know needed doing.

Have lived here for 3 years now with no issue so it's a bit hard to take, but take it I will if it's all above board.
Others have already given good advice.

My only addition would be that in his time, there is no way he could have done adequate testing on the circuits to ensure that there are no problems. This smacks of a report done in order to obtain new work. Unfortunately the report is no longer attached, would love to see it (with identifying info removed).

I would suggest that he did not in any sense 'complete' an EICR, so charging for one is unreasonable. If he could see that it was going to fail and said there's no point continuing, then charged only for his time that might be a different matter.

I did a 1 bedroom flat today that was old but nearly perfect in terms of wiring, tests, etc - and that still took me well over 3 hours.

In your case if he hasn't done full tests on the ring circuit (sockets) for example, then he can't possibly quote to 'fix' everything - there may be issues with the sockets that would come to light while they were doing a board change - which would then suddenly be 'extras'.

At the very least you should expect an exact list of the work to be completed so you know what you are paying for, but personally I think it might be throwing good money after bad at this case.

Having said that, looking at the installation pictures there are probably good arguments for upgrading your fuse board. It must be now well over 30 years old and if issues start to occur while you have tenants in there may be additional costs with call outs or just annoying phone calls from the tenants when all their lights go out at 10pm.

Obviously hard to judge from 2 pictures, but I'd think that with shopping around it may be possible to get the board replaced AND an EICR completed for less than you would end up paying the first guy in total, even if it was a fixed price. Personally, I'd not want to encourage him though in any case.

Is he a member of one of the schemes? (NICEIC contractor or similar)? In which case it may be worth contacting them to raise it - it might lead to an uncomfortable question at his next assessment at the very least...

Reply to EICR Report Second Opinion/Explanation of Codes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock