Discuss EICR tick sheet other methods of protection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Craig3

-
Reaction score
Hi all, iv recently passed my testing and inspection course and have landed a job doing EICRs iv noticed that people I work with are ticking all the boxes in the section for "other methods of protection" I dont believe they should be. Can anyone give me a break down of what each point means exactly and give an example just so I am clear in my mind I'm understanding the tick sheet properly. Thanks .

Hi all, iv recently passed my testing and inspection course and have landed a job doing EICRs iv noticed that people I work with are ticking all the boxes in the section for "other methods of protection" I dont believe they should be. Can anyone give me a break down of what each point means exactly and give an example just so I am clear in my mind I'm understanding the tick sheet properly. Thanks .
Google DPN5 tick sheet explained

Other methods of protection is not included on the Inspection Schedule for an EICR unless yours differs to the format in BS7671.

You are mostly correct. It would be extremely rare for an installation to adopt all these methods of protection:

Double Insulation is cables that are insulated twice. Such as meter tails.

Reinforced must meet the same protection as above but are only insulated once.

Use of Obstacles would be physical barriers to prevent touching of live bus bars for example.

Placing out of reach would be live bus bars put high up so that they are out of reach.

Earth-free local equipotential bonding would be when all exposed conductive parts are connected together but not connected to an earth.

Electrical Separation is when an air-core transformer is used for protection.

It is important to add that the above can only be ticked if ADS does not apply. So if you have SELV downlights then if the lighting circuit is protected by ADS then you don't need to tick 'Electrical Separation' also.

You are mostly correct. It would be extremely rare for an installation to adopt all these methods of protection:

Double Insulation is cables that are insulated twice. Such as meter tails.

Reinforced must meet the same protection as above but are only insulated once.

Use of Obstacles would be physical barriers to prevent touching of live bus bars for example.

Placing out of reach would be live bus bars put high up so that they are out of reach.

Earth-free local equipotential bonding would be when all exposed conductive parts are connected together but not connected to an earth.

Electrical Separation is when an air-core transformer is used for protection.

It is important to add that the above can only be ticked if ADS does not apply. So if you have SELV downlights then if the lighting circuit is protected by ADS then you don't need to tick 'Electrical Separation' also.
The tails you describe as double insulated, are not Double insulated, they are an insulateD single cable with a PVC mechanical protective sheath, the same as Twin and CPC.

Tails are not double insulated. They have the basic insulation and then sleeving just like twin and Earth and that isn't called double insulated.

The tails you describe as double insulated, are not Double insulated, they are an insulateD single cable with a PVC mechanical protective sheath, the same as Twin and CPC.

Both tails and T&E meet the definition of 'Double Insulated' which is 'Insulation comprising both basic insulation and supplementary insulation'.

Furthermore Regulation 412.2.4.1 further clarifies this.

Both tails and T&E meet the definition of 'Double Insulated' which is 'Insulation comprising both basic insulation and supplementary insulation'.

Furthermore Regulation 412.2.4.1 further clarifies this.
Can't see the a square within a square symbol on any tails I have installed Essex, have you? and how does that regulation clarify your statement? I agree it may be called reinforced insulation, or mechanical protection of basic insulation. but NOT double insulation.

Last edited:
Can't see the a square within a square symbol on any tails I have installed Essex, have you? and how does that regulation clarify your statement? I agree it may be called reinforced insulation, but NOT double insulation.

Note 2 of that Reg states that cables should not be identified with the double squared symbol.

If you read the Reg it states that a cable installed that is rated no less than the nominal voltage and has basic insulation and a non-metallic sheath (DI tails and T&E) then the cable will meet the requirement of Reg 412.2. 412.2 is electrical equipment that is double insulated (square within a square).

I often find this Regulation somewhat tenuous in particular where it refers to the insulation considered as providing at least the requirements for reinforced insulation, this I assume does not include any sheathing or containment. Nevertheless this is what it states but I have never bought it.

Just looked up 412.2.4.1 I couldn't see where it says the sheath is a layer of insulation. It does refer to " adequate mechanical protection of the basic insulation".

The Reg in full:

412.1.4.1 Wiring systems installed in accordance with Chapter 52 are considered to meet the requirement of Regulation 412.2 if:

(i) the rated voltage of the cable(s) is not less than the nominal voltage of the system and at least 300/500 V, and
(ii) adequate mechanical protection of the basic insulation is provided by one or more of the following:
(a) The non-metallic sheath of the cable
(b) Non-metallic trunking or ducting complying with the BS EN 50085 series of standards, or non-metallic conduit complying with the BS EN 61386 series of standards.

NOTE 1: Cable product standards do not specify impulse withstand capability. However, it is considered that the insulation of the cabling system is at least equivalent to the requirement in BS EN 61140 for reinforced insulation.

NOTE 2: A wiring system should not be identified by the symbol for Class 2 equipment or Earth Free.

So as far as that reg goes, the sheath of the cable can be used as a reinforced barrier when creating a system that, in its entirety, can be classed as employing the protection measure of double insulation.

It does not state that type of cable on its own can be referred to or regarded as double insulated.

Am I understanding that right ? I have never employed double insulation as a protective measure for a whole system.

So as far as that reg goes, the sheath of the cable can be used as a reinforced barrier when creating a system that, in its entirety, can be classed as employing the protection measure of double insulation.

It does not state that type of cable on its own can be referred to or regarded as double insulated.

Am I understanding that right ? I have never employed double insulation as a protective measure for a whole system.

I think I am with you. If I am then yes. A cable is deemed to be double insulated if it meets the requirement in that Reg.

However as you say you would not tick the Double Insulated box unless you were designing for this. The main head would be affording you ADS.

Reinforced Insulation is the same degree of protection as DI but only one layer of insulation.

It is very tenuous and unclear as I don't deem any part of the insulation or sheath as reinforced. The Reg considers the insulation, not the sheath as I read it is at least the equivalent to the requirements of reinforced insulation. I actually find that difficult to believe.

In must installation and in my case all installation I have worked on used ebads and now ADS as method of protection . This tick box refers to the whole instalation so double insulation is not used as method of protection so N/A would be entered on the tick sheet . Ibe always been guided that main tails are not double insulated as others have said. the outer is clased as mechanical protection .

Reply to EICR tick sheet other methods of protection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net