Discuss EICR - top of consumer unit is not correctly IP rated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope your all well!

I've just had an eicr done on my coffee shop and one of the things that has come back is the above as per the attached pics, the consumer units are in a cupboard which I can out a lock on to stop access.

I am being told that all the wires have to be removed from the board to allow the fitting of trunking and that is a major job (basically the same job as changing the fuse board), is that right, as I'm hoping there must be an easier way???

Many thanks,

Martin

Attachments

• IMG_20200701_180238.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 163
I think the problem here is the connectors floating about.(even inside a locked cupboard) They could be joined inside the consumer unit.
The IP rating would just "need improving" but nothing wrong with that as it stands. If they were putting trunking in, they will have quoted for metal consumer units as well.

James beat me to it..... just hide the cables behind a wood panel

We could have a non binary, gender neutral individual in here.
Lots of monkeys as well, if you look at some profile pictures.
Mine is just a painting of Baby Yoda.... on a stone.

Ideally the cable joint should be inside the consumer unit , apart from that it’s simply boxing the consumer units in to hide the cables...

What code did the inspector give on the EICR? Is the top surface readily accessible? I would suggest a C3 for the IP rating and C3 for the exposed wago connectors (Potentially C2 on closer inspection - can’t tell from pic how well they have been done or how secure the cupboard is) does the cupboard Solely for the consumer unites , have warning notice 240v and under controlled lock and key access ? If so you could argue no codes /improvement are required.

What is the issue with the IP rating of the CU's they look to meet the requirements of IP2X Looking at it they would pass the British Standard Finger test which is the minimum IP2X requirement so I don't see any reason to code it
The wagos do need a box or relocating within one of the CU's though and should have been coded

What is the issue with the IP rating of the CU's they look to meet the requirements of IP2X Looking at it they would pass the British Standard Finger test which is the minimum IP2X requirement so I don't see any reason to code it
The wagos do need a box or relocating within one of the CU's though and should have been coded
It’s ip4x on the top surface required

Reply to EICR - top of consumer unit is not correctly IP rated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net