Discuss EICR unsatisfactory due to 'no RCD protection to lighting circuits' in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have a 1996 2 bedroom house which I'm about to let out as I lost my job due to COVID and need to relocate.
The NICEIC electrician I used for my EICR has given me a code C2 for 'no RCD protection to lighting circuits including bathroom lighting'. To put this right, he's proposing a new Consumer Unit, for about £450.
Would like some advice - should I query this given that the house was built in 1996, and came up to standard at the time?
Thanks

Lighting circuit without RCD protection does not constitute a C2.
C3 only.

There is no debate on that.

are there any other comments on the lighting circuit? what is the actual wording?

i did a flat the other day that had no RCD protection, as it was a re wireable board.

it came back as satisfactory. I have to admit I was surprised, but the fact dictated the outcome.

Thanks guys. Other C2 codes on the report:
1. "Signs of thermal damage to Consumer unit and MCB's due to a door bell transformer within the CU over heating" Remedial work: "Install separate housing for doorbell transformer to stop thermal damage - £75.00 + VAT".
2. "Bathroom light not IP rated" Remedial work: "Replace bathroom light with IP rated fitting" - £50 + VAT"
If having no RCD protection for lighting doesn't justify a new Consumer Unit, does point 1 merit it?

Can’t comment on the thermal damage as I cant see it. Photo would help.

IP rated bathroom light.

A common mistake among some sparkies.
if it’s above=2.25M it does not need to have a water resistant fitting. A normal pendant is fine.

i would advise getting a bathroom IP rated light, but would not code it if it’s above that 2.25M.
get your tape measure out.

A common mistake among some sparkies.
if it’s above=2.25M it does not need to have a water resistant fitting. A normal pendant is fine.
Pendant light? With most ceilings being around 2.4m, that's going to be a very short drop in most cases.
A batten holder might keeps things high enough, or a gallery fitting of some sort, but agree that IP44 or greater is preferable.
Always considered it strange that the 2.25m is measured from the floor, even over a bath. I've seen baths fitted with legs fully extended and the legs on wooden blocks to help with drainage problems.

Did I mention that the electrician who signed the report wasn't the electrician who did the inspection? Is that legal?
That doesn’t sound right, but they may have a reason.

I’m sure it explains it on the EICR, but the codes are thus;

C1 - immediate danger. Bare live wires, or sockets hanging off he wall... anything that any sane electrician would just turn the power off.

C2 - potentially dangerous. Something that isn’t C1 but close. The overheating bell transformer, for example. Although without seeing it, we don’t know it’s severity. (Has been known for dodgy tradesmen to melt plastics with a lighter to show “overheating damage“)

C1 - Improvement recommended. Not dangerous, and overall satisfactory. As mentioned above, an old Fusebox with rewirables can be satisfactory.

Was this EICR done because estate agent asked for it? Every house I’ve bought hasn’t had it done.

If there is no RCD protection does the bathroom have supplementary bonding installed?

Theres not necessarily anything 'odd' about the electrician inspecting and someone else signing the report off. One could be the inspector and the other possibly the QS?

Reply to EICR unsatisfactory due to 'no RCD protection to lighting circuits' in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net