Discuss Electric fire circuit issue in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have been given from a friend an electric fire as seen attached. The fire comes all as one with fire surround and hearth with a power cord and 3 pin plug at the end. The fireplace is rated at 2kw. As far as I was aware this is ok to just plug into my downstairs ringmain. Am I correct With that, it’s just I’m now reading threads online saying they require a dedicated circuit or even an FCU. Seeing as the plug is fused I would have thought this was unnecessary. Is this fireplace not basically a portable appliance. Any help would be greatly thanked just confused and need some clarification

Electric fire circuit issue E78AF12C-5357-46E0-AD7C-6F3BBFF67198 - EletriciansForums.net

Depending on the age of your house, you may have a dedicated socket for a fire.

Does the ring circuit also serve the kitchen, as that is where most of the other high load appliances are. Kettle, washing machine etc

Take the kW rating of appliance,convert to W, devide by 230v and get the amps that the appliance will take.
Ie 2kW.... 2000W / 230 = 8.7A

I think it will be fine.

I have been given from a friend an electric fire as seen attached. The fire comes all as one with fire surround and hearth with a power cord and 3 pin plug at the end. The fireplace is rated at 2kw. As far as I was aware this is ok to just plug into my downstairs ringmain. Am I correct With that, it’s just I’m now reading threads online saying they require a dedicated circuit or even an FCU. Seeing as the plug is fused I would have thought this was unnecessary. Is this fireplace not basically a portable appliance. Any help would be greatly thanked just confused and need some clarification

View attachment 47304
It's a recommendation thay loads of 2KW and over are wired on their own circuit, It's will be a fixed appliance and will be subject to testing as per ISITEE CoP (PAT)

Hi - very handsome fireplace ! No need for a fused connection unit as the plug should have a 13A fuse inside. Maybe check its not been replaced with a screw or something. :rolleyes:.

Hi - very handsome fireplace ! No need for a fused connection unit as the plug should have a 13A fuse inside. Maybe check its not been replaced with a screw or something. :rolleyes:.
Maybe get it teste before fitting. Morning Wilko

Morning Pete !
I'm just sitting by my heater having a cup of tea. Nowhere near as fancy but does the job. Before anyone asks, no it is not on fire ...

Electric fire circuit issue IMG_1312.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Hi guys thanks for the replies.
The ring main I have been using to power the heater is just for the downstairs ( excluding the kitchen, that is on its own circuit) so basically the downstairs ringmain is feeding lamps, TV equipment and occasionally the iron when the ironing needs doing. It’s a bit misleading if appliances 2kw and above should be on their own circuit but come with a three pin plug. But as you say that’s a recommendation

Hi guys thanks for the replies.
The ring main I have been using to power the heater is just for the downstairs ( excluding the kitchen, that is on its own circuit) so basically the downstairs ringmain is feeding lamps, TV equipment and occasionally the iron when the ironing needs doing. It’s a bit misleading if appliances 2kw and above should be on their own circuit but come with a three pin plug. But as you say that’s a recommendation
Please don't call the circuit "a ring main" it grates on me :tongue::D:eek::rolleyes::):):):):):) these circuits have a new designation "Ring Final Circuit" not to be confused with a Radial Final Circuit, bot unfortunately can be shortened to RFC for short, which can cause confusion to some, tin hat on awaiting the deluge of "old thread" "Pedant" or Pete's on the crusade again,"dumb" "dislike" etc

It's a recommendation thay loads of 2KW and over are wired on their own circuit, It's will be a fixed appliance and will be subject to testing as per ISITEE CoP (PAT)

Where is this recommendation you often quote? It's not in bs7671 because that only mentions cooking appliances over 2kW, not all loads over 2kW.

It does say that comprehensive space heating shouldn't be shouldn't be on the ring, but a single portable heater which the manufacturer has supplied fitted with a plug is hardly comprehensive space heating is it?

The actual wiring of the thing is quite simple really - just work out the load of the heater - which has been done already for you - think whether there is quite a high load going to be running on the circuit at the same time as the heater being on. If there isnt plug it in and away you go. I think it should be fine considering that the kitchen is on a seperate circuit

another option is to put it on a fcu so you isolate the fire place. also saves you having to pull the fireplace out if you ever need to replace the fuse in the plug.

Reply to Electric fire circuit issue in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock