Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Electric meter installation - need access to neighbour's flat in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi there I'm new here so apologies if this is the wrong place,

My prepayment electric meter screen went blank last week, I was advised this was to do with a power cut, I am currently on supply. I live in a block of flats and the electrician that came out advised that they would need access to my neighbour's flat before they could install a new meter (have an install date of 30th September). They advised that they would need to turn off flat 4 as they are opening up the box in the picture to get to mine (I'm flat 2).

My concern is that my neighbour is not always there (no real routine, comes and goes at all hours, don't think they work, smokes weed etc) so unsure how I'm going to get the issue resolved. The electrician advised they need access to the property to turn off the power however a previous electrician who popped round advised they just need to advise the neighbour that their power will be off for a short time which I was able to advise the neighbour of.

Can they install the meter without entering the neighbour's property? Would I need to contact the housing association? From the supplier's perspective they won't touch it until the install date as I am not off supply and not classed as an emergency but I can't pay anything to the supplier until they resolve (been on a credit meter for a week so far) so a bit of a catch 22.

Any info would be much appreciated - just looking for general advice

Many thanks

Oliver

Attachments

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
Are the suppliers fuses in your neighbours flat? If not I can't see what the problem is as it looks like one fuse does your flat, they would only need to pull that fuse to swap your meter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are the suppliers fuses in your neighbours flat? If not I can't see what the problem is as it looks like one fuse does your flat, they would only need to pull that fuse to swap your meter.
I'm unsure on that, the electrian told me that they would need to open up the box in the 2nd picture and that they would need to turn both flat 2 and 4 off while they replace my meter and gain access to number 4 to check the electrics were ok. Sorry for lack of info on this it's all new to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The neighbour advised he was ok for the electric to be turned off as long as it would go back on and his credit would remain the same

Reply to Electric meter installation - need access to neighbour's flat in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom