Discuss Electric meter installation - need access to neighbour's flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there I'm new here so apologies if this is the wrong place,

My prepayment electric meter screen went blank last week, I was advised this was to do with a power cut, I am currently on supply. I live in a block of flats and the electrician that came out advised that they would need access to my neighbour's flat before they could install a new meter (have an install date of 30th September). They advised that they would need to turn off flat 4 as they are opening up the box in the picture to get to mine (I'm flat 2).

My concern is that my neighbour is not always there (no real routine, comes and goes at all hours, don't think they work, smokes weed etc) so unsure how I'm going to get the issue resolved. The electrician advised they need access to the property to turn off the power however a previous electrician who popped round advised they just need to advise the neighbour that their power will be off for a short time which I was able to advise the neighbour of.

Can they install the meter without entering the neighbour's property? Would I need to contact the housing association? From the supplier's perspective they won't touch it until the install date as I am not off supply and not classed as an emergency but I can't pay anything to the supplier until they resolve (been on a credit meter for a week so far) so a bit of a catch 22.

Any info would be much appreciated - just looking for general advice

Many thanks

Oliver

Attachments

• Electric Meter.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 42
  • Electric Meter_1.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 42
Are the suppliers fuses in your neighbours flat? If not I can't see what the problem is as it looks like one fuse does your flat, they would only need to pull that fuse to swap your meter.

Are the suppliers fuses in your neighbours flat? If not I can't see what the problem is as it looks like one fuse does your flat, they would only need to pull that fuse to swap your meter.
I'm unsure on that, the electrian told me that they would need to open up the box in the 2nd picture and that they would need to turn both flat 2 and 4 off while they replace my meter and gain access to number 4 to check the electrics were ok. Sorry for lack of info on this it's all new to me.

Reply to Electric meter installation - need access to neighbour's flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net