Discuss Electric switch covered in plaster, now light doesn't turn off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

max861

DIY
Reaction score
Plasterer has been in this week and after leaving today, he left the light on in the room. I went to the room to turn the light off and saw the switch in this state

Not only are the wires completely covered in plaster, the switch didn't turn the light off (the wiring has been compromised) so I had to remove the bulb instead to turn the light off. Also worth mentioning that he did trip the fuse several times when working near this switch.

He's back tomorrow to finish off the room. Do I point this out and expect him to clean it up before he's finished the job or is this considered normal in plastering and let the electrician sort it out? I am guessing the former but interested to hear from some more experienced on reasonable next steps.

switch.jpeg

Best not to touch the switch while the plaster remains moist.

It may be as simple as a damaged switch, but there could also be damage to insulation. I'd certainly mention it to the plasterer and get an electrician in to check this.

Thanks both. I would have turned off at the fuse box but then it would turn off most of my downstairs lights, so removing the bulb was the next best thing so that the light's not on all night.

The plasterer is back tomorrow and I am curious to see if he is going to leave the socket like that. If he will, I will flag it to him. He did a parallel socket to this in another room and left that one in intact, so not sure what happened here

Thanks both. I would have turned off at the fuse box but then it would turn off most of my downstairs lights, so removing the bulb was the next best thing so that the light's not on all night.

The plasterer is back tomorrow and I am curious to see if he is going to leave the socket like that. If he will, I will flag it to him. He did a parallel socket to this in another room and left that one in intact, so not sure what happened here

Plaster won't harm the cables, although probably not so kind to the switch (cheap to replace). When dry it's easy enough to remove, but I'd be wary incase trowel has cut through insulation of wires - hence recommendation to get electrician involved.

I'd say the plasterer owes you a new switch and 2 wago connectors.

But also that should have been removed and made safe before the plasterer started.
So ideally yes, all sockets in the room have been removed and protected. The switches however were left on so the plasterer could use the light. What could the electrician have done here to make it safer while still allowing the plasterer to use the light in the room?

So ideally yes, all sockets in the room have been removed and protected. The switches however were left on so the plasterer could use the light. What could the electrician have done here to make it safer while still allowing the plasterer to use the light in the room?

One thing would have been to remove the switch and connect the live/switched live together with a wago connector. Then the wires could have been tucked in the box so they were below the surface.

One thing would have been to remove the switch and connect the live/switched live together with a wago connector. Then the wires could have been tucked in the box so they were below the surface.

So by doing that, the light would be permanently on? The electrician did his first fix about a month ago meaning the light would have been on for the full month and more until he comes back

Last edited:
But that would be leaving non-sheathed conductors exposed and energised, leaving the Electrician in bother were something to happen.

Is it though?

Having the light permanently wired to be switched on for over a month doesn't seem like the best option to me

Not ideal, but I was meaning it was better from the point of view of the plasterer getting an electric shock or damaging the cables with the trowel (which, let's face it might have happened).

Not ideal, but I was meaning it was better from the point of view of the plasterer getting an electric shock or damaging the cables with the trowel (which, let's face it might have happened).

I guess another option could be to just cap off the switches the same way as the sockets and have no electrics in the room, but then plasterer would need to supply his own lighting.

I am just curious to know what the industry standard is when plastering a room with light switches. I have other rooms to refurb so getting an idea of best practice on how to prepare sockets would be very helpful for future renovations.

So far I have DPGs suggestion, any others?

I guess another option could be to just cap off the switches the same way as the sockets and have no electrics in the room, but then plasterer would need to supply his own lighting.

I am just curious to know what the industry standard is when plastering a room with light switches. I have other rooms to refurb so getting an idea of best practice on how to prepare sockets would be very helpful for future renovations.

So far I have DPGs suggestion, any others?

Tim's is the best I think (has only just been posted). Nice and safe and the switch is still usable. And it's cheap!

Plasterers are messy sods. Remove the switch. Clean the cables and switch - the plaster will come off super easily. If needed, a new switch costs buttons as do Wago connectors. So a storm in a teacup and not worth falling out with a tradesman over, but to be honest, on balance, this is on you.

For future plastering works, ideally remove sockets & switches and tuck cables into the box; maybe cover them with a small bag or tape. Failing that, cover sockets & switches in a bag.

Reply to Electric switch covered in plaster, now light doesn't turn off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net