Discuss Electric switch covered in plaster, now light doesn't turn off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Oh yes there is! Solution has been provided on previous page

What solution?

Leaving the light permanently live? Hardly a good option!

Or do you mean the yellow box collar thing? That doesn't help with plaster and water getting in to the switch/socket and presenting a danger.

What solution?

Leaving the light permanently live? Hardly a good option!

Or do you mean the yellow box collar thing? That doesn't help with plaster and water getting in to the switch/socket and presenting a danger.

Post #14 Dave. Designed for this exact situation and re-usable.

Of course not, just look at the picture posted earlier in the thread. The whole front of the socket it still there to get plaster and water in.
It's obviously not bullet proof. What it does do however is prevent the plastering spillage to the socket/switch internals which can be seen in my original post. If a plasterer manages to still get plaster into it then they really shouldn't be plastering.

It’s not just plasterers. Decorators sometimes take switch fronts off to paint around.

Joiners…. And specifically kitchen fitters are the worst.

You get a call from the customer…. Move a few sockets in a kitchen, wire in the hob etc… You get there and find sockets just hanging on wires… taped up bare ends with only a switch turned off keeping it from being safe…. And 3 under 10’s running about.

If any work involves removing switches and sockets from the wall, such as plastering… then the power should be isolated. Whether that’s inconvenient for other trades, it shouldn’t matter.

We know them as yellow boxes at work. Every council kitchen we rewire gets these, so the power can be back on and the sockets are live but safe so the kitchen fitter tiles around them.

Same for any 2nd fix that we know is getting plastered, it's another visit to remove them but it leaves a perfect finished wall to screw plates back to

Plasterers like a completely unobstructed area to plaster. If the yellow box is used, when the plaster is dry, you will probably find that if you check with a straight edge, the plaster around the switch will be slightly raised.
Ideally, live and neutral to the switch should be disconnected elsewhere, the switch removed, and the wires tucked into the back of the box. The wires and box can be easily cleaned up when the plaster is dry.
On the few occasions that I've had to leave a switch connected, I've placed two small freezer bags over it, with a cable tie holding the necks tight over the wires.

It’s not just plasterers. Decorators sometimes take switch fronts off to paint around.

Joiners…. And specifically kitchen fitters are the worst.

You get a call from the customer…. Move a few sockets in a kitchen, wire in the hob etc… You get there and find sockets just hanging on wires… taped up bare ends with only a switch turned off keeping it from being safe…. And 3 under 10’s running about.

If any work involves removing switches and sockets from the wall, such as plastering… then the power should be isolated. Whether that’s inconvenient for other trades, it shouldn’t matter.

I find tilers to be worst of all. Like kitchen fitters they consider themselves electricians, but the extra depth they add means new plate screws - generally 2-3" chopped roughly and forced into place so every lug thread is f****d.

Decorators sometimes take switch fronts off to paint around.
They do ?
In my experience they will tell you, after you've moaned that every ***ing new switch and socket is now painted, that "that's how it's supposed to be done". Seriously, I've been told that - both by decorators and others. I've yet to find anyone who thinks that loosening fittings and painting behind them is the right way to do it.

Once, when there were painters in at a previous employer, I removed a few things (such as the bracket for a fire extinguisher and some picture hooks) from the wall and left them under the edge of his sheets on the floor. When I went back to refit them I found ... they were already re-fitted and painted over !

Plasterers like a completely unobstructed area to plaster. If the yellow box is used, when the plaster is dry, you will probably find that if you check with a straight edge, the plaster around the switch will be slightly raised.
Yeah, nothing beats a blank wall to work on.
But I find that there tends to be a hollow around the boxes then. So bad in our extension (not that the plastering is anything but "interesting") that it's been really hard making good where I've been adding extra boxes (for TV, network, etc) alongside the power sockets. In fact, I was finding it so time consuming (I had to dig out what seemed like miles of cable to change runs/circuit arrangement for the lights) that I got a plasterer in - and I think he did worse than I did (but at least most of it is behind furniture).

Ideally, live and neutral to the switch should be disconnected elsewhere, the switch removed, and the wires tucked into the back of the box. The wires and box can be easily cleaned up when the plaster is dry.
That's what I do, but then I have no problem doing it myself - many homeowners won't be able/confident/safe (perm any combination) to. And with modern LED bulbs, they are generally cool enough to just unplug from the socket to turn them off.

Of course,

They do ?
In my experience they will tell you, after you've moaned that every ***ing new switch and socket is now painted, that "that's how it's supposed to be done". Seriously, I've been told that - both by decorators and others. I've yet to find anyone who thinks that loosening fittings and painting behind them is the right way to do it.

Once, when there were painters in at a previous employer, I removed a few things (such as the bracket for a fire extinguisher and some picture hooks) from the wall and left them under the edge of his sheets on the floor. When I went back to refit them I found ... they were already re-fitted and painted over !

Yeah, nothing beats a blank wall to work on.
But I find that there tends to be a hollow around the boxes then. So bad in our extension (not that the plastering is anything but "interesting") that it's been really hard making good where I've been adding extra boxes (for TV, network, etc) alongside the power sockets. In fact, I was finding it so time consuming (I had to dig out what seemed like miles of cable to change runs/circuit arrangement for the lights) that I got a plasterer in - and I think he did worse than I did (but at least most of it is behind furniture).

That's what I do, but then I have no problem doing it myself - many homeowners won't be able/confident/safe (perm any combination) to. And with modern LED bulbs, they are generally cool enough to just unplug from the socket to turn them off.

Of course,

Great Post. 'Interesting plastering ' made me laugh. Good band name that. Mind you I've had a few ales tonight. Busy round Doncaster on a races night. Where was I? What's the earthing system?

Had a tenant once ask if they could redecorate a couple of rooms. Permission granted.
They did one room in a medium blue and the other in maroon. Walls, skirting board, door frames, doors, switches, sockets, and the outer inch or so of the carpet.

Reply to Electric switch covered in plaster, now light doesn't turn off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net