Discuss Electrical fire in house in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys
These pics were taken because of a electrical fire. 8 flats on one phase
Cowboy electrical guys caused this
What do you think should happen to the landlord he knew about this and did nothing. C9C9FEA1-C2D0-4EC0-A7B6-7ECD6AA12242.jpegE23BF187-84A5-4E1B-8374-7028010072B7.jpegFFC622B8-CF2B-47BD-BC8A-9FD262544DC8.jpeg07064915-A259-406A-B155-F59921BCF0B8.jpeg265568DF-686E-48E6-AEBE-0DC71E943314.jpeg00FD3928-B34B-45FA-A5F1-B644A895694D.jpeg2F1CF286-9812-4345-908E-DFA82B6DB531.jpeg2FD5BEF3-F592-4591-8947-B9FB16F2A820.jpeg1A84B49F-2493-4B7C-9115-95D8DD39FE17.jpeg

Rough. Is that the main fuse for all 8 flats? It says 60A?

The burned plug and extension lead has nothing to do with the electrician.... that belongs the tenants. Maybe a loose fuse connection in the plugtop? (or the 13A fuse has been replaced with a nail)

The property needs an EICR before any tenants can move in. That should have picked up any faults and reported to landlord.
If this has been a rewire with sitting tenants, then they should have completed a test certificate and notified to LABC.

Is this 8 flats, or is it an HMO?

Well, as said before it is rough as fack

However, cowboy electrical probably installed that lot 30 years ago.

Fuse carrier has become weak with age and been arcing

Change burnt socket
Put enclosure round cable terminals feeding socket on floor, whilst your at it, screw it to the wall?
New fuse And holder or even better a fused isolator.

Back on supply, write report, suggest full eicr.
Off to next job by lunch time.
[automerge]1593590357[/automerge]
Just noticed the OP is listed as Tennant on profile.

My advice would be,
Write to landlord or agent asking for a copy of the electrical inspection report.

Consider your own actions,
it is not advisable to run heaters from extension leads, a heater is likely to use all the electricity the lead and adapter can handle safely without the added power of the other things plugged into it.

I am assuming that it is a heater or other powerful device that is running for long periods of time that is attached to the plug with burn marks.

It is also likely that the wall socket with burns around 1 pin has been caused by overloading it, by chance is that where the damaged extension lead plugs in?

Last edited:
The Belkin extension lead may actually only be rated for 10A with same size fuse in it’s plug... could have been changed to a 13 over time.
Belkin normally make computer products, so their extension leads might be designed for lesser loads.

The burned plug and extension lead has nothing to do with the electrician.... that belongs the tenants. Maybe a loose fuse connection in the plugtop? (or the 13A fuse has been replaced with a nail)

The property needs an EICR before any tenants can move in. That should have picked up any faults and reported to landlord.
If this has been a rewire with sitting tenants, then they should have completed a test certificate and notified to LABC.

hi thank you for your reply yes 8 flats in house and a separate garden flat. The extension leads burnt out. I moved in 2016 no certification has been given since then. I have just got the report that was done in April. Local authority has allowed the landlord to get away with this and issued hazard awareness notice. All tenants were in the hmo when work was done. Something is not right here it’s like the environmental health officer is playing this down and letting the landlord get away with this fire. I am a disabled tenant and have mobility issues and the landlord has cut all electricity at my flat except two plug sockets working, those two plug sockets have extension leads running a kitchen. 8 flats have no fixed heating stand alone heaters blow all the tine. The 1£ coin machine is about 15 meters from my flat, I have to keep going to the shop and for change and I am in the EXTREMELY HIGH RISK GROUP isolation is key but I’m forced to go out and get 1£ coins. Right now I have no electricity in my kitchen since November 2019 no hot water no shower its a category 1 hazard nearly 7 months no electricity in kitchen. I can’t take medication because of this.

Attachments

• IMG_0182.MOV
    63.4 MB

Hi this is the report

Attachments

• Report from cowboy company .pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 87
who wrote those observations?

Johnny aged 5?
I knew it was bad please explain more please. I need to sue the landlord
[automerge]1593605006[/automerge]
Well, as said before it is rough as fack

However, cowboy electrical probably installed that lot 30 years ago.

Fuse carrier has become weak with age and been arcing

Change burnt socket
Put enclosure round cable terminals feeding socket on floor, whilst your at it, screw it to the wall?
New fuse And holder or even better a fused isolator.

Back on supply, write report, suggest full eicr.
Off to next job by lunch time.
[automerge]1593590357[/automerge]
Just noticed the OP is listed as Tennant on profile.

My advice would be,
Write to landlord or agent asking for a copy of the electrical inspection report.

Consider your own actions,
it is not advisable to run heaters from extension leads, a heater is likely to use all the electricity the lead and adapter can handle safely without the added power of the other things plugged into it.

I am assuming that it is a heater or other powerful device that is running for long periods of time that is attached to the plug with burn marks.

It is also likely that the wall socket with burns around 1 pin has been caused by overloading it, by chance is that where the damaged extension lead plugs in?

Attachments

• Report from cowboy company .pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 27
Look... you won’t get anywhere saying that “a bunch of electricians on an online forum said it was bad”

Try citizens advice, or a solicitor. They will know the rules regarding renting out a flat with no heating and the electrics the way it is.
Have you got a trusted friend or a social worker that could contact the landlord and find out what’s happening?

I find it difficult to see how the council can ignore this.

Look... you won’t get anywhere saying that “a bunch of electricians on an online forum said it was bad”

Try citizens advice, or a solicitor. They will know the rules regarding renting out a flat with no heating and the electrics the way it is.
Have you got a trusted friend or a social worker that could contact the landlord and find out what’s happening?

I find it difficult to see how the council can ignore this.
Council issued hazard awareness cert and that’s it, it should of been prohibition order. Council have conspired with landlord, I mean can you tell me any hmo that has no fire doors but has a licence. He was running it for over 2 years without a licence then he gained one in 2017 and still no fire doors. I have been through everyone and I have solicitor, I just wanted more opinions from qualified electrical guys like yourself and the others
[automerge]1593606879[/automerge]
I sent video of plug in flat crackling an smoking, that was in 2017 they did nothing because I complained I was threatened with eviction and his electrical guy said he hopes the flat burns down over my head

Johnny aged 5?

and those schedule of test results.... For a use of a word, Shocking, half the results are missing and incompleteo_Oo_Oo_O

looks like he just copied and pasted the descriptions from the inspection schedule straight into the observations..... No locations, lacking any detailed descriptions; and the technical terminology he's used on the odd occasion he's bothered are something else...

All signed off by a Niceic approved contractor too... Is that really the standard they allow???

and those schedule of test results.... For a use of a word, Shocking, half the results are missing and incompleteo_Oo_Oo_O

looks like he just copied and pasted the descriptions from the inspection schedule straight into the observations..... No locations, lacking any detailed descriptions; and the technical terminology he's used on the odd occasion he's bothered are something else...

All signed off by a Niceic approved contractor too... Is that really the standard they allow???
I believe this is fraudulent and the company he is using operate under two names I don’t like how this has been dealt with 8 flats £260 each flat per week
[automerge]1593607643[/automerge]
I believe this is fraudulent and the company he is using operate under two names I don’t like how this has been dealt with 8 flats £260 each flat per week
And he can afford skilled trades men he has handymen doing skilled work for pennies
[automerge]1593608351[/automerge]

Johnny aged 5?
Hi what would you advise

Last edited:
[automerge]1593607643[/automerge]

And he can afford skilled trades men he has handymen doing skilled work for pennies
[automerge]1593608351[/automerge]

Hi what would you advise

I can't / won't get involved with the whole suing the landlord thing you mentioned earlier.

I'm merely making observations on what i see as a shoddy report that's been issued. You could make a complaint about the standard of it to the NICEIC as that's the scheme they're members of, however, you may not get very far as it was the landlord who ordered and paid for the work.

I can't / won't get involved with the whole suing the landlord thing you mentioned earlier.

I'm merely making observations on what i see as a shoddy report that's been issued. You could make a complaint about the standard of it to the NICEIC as that's the scheme they're members of, however, you may not get very far as it was the landlord who ordered and paid for the work.
I’m not expecting you to be involved in the action I take, I just wanted a professional opinion on what I have posted. Been going on for years and it has to stop. I really appreciate your opinions

I’m not expecting you to be involved in the action I take, I just wanted a professional opinion on what I have posted. Been going on for years and it has to stop. I really appreciate your opinions
If the licensing authority are being difficult or you believe that they are not taking this seriously, I would advise you contact your MP, as much as I hate most politicians, they can come in handy when a bit of force is needed, also handy if there is an election coming up.

Most MPs offer drop in surgeries, I would suggest starting there

A quick search on Sction 8 evictions throws up this;

Time period for section 8 notices has been increased to 3 months due to COVID.

Furthermore, if you have been issued a Section 21 notice, you have to be given 2 months notice of this.

With the above in mind you have potentially 2-3 months to prepare a case. Call CAB and get them onside, also most law firms will give 30 minutes advise fre; find one that deals with tenancy cases and get them working for you - Dpnding on your circumstance ou may qualify for legal aid so get on it sharpish.

If this installation was inspected and tested on the 29/12/19 why did it take until the 20/04/20 to issue the EICR or is it because it's 23 partially completed pages long

Reply to Electrical fire in house in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net