Discuss electrical installation on a floating dwelling in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Andy78

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I really need some help in a project I have become involved in wiring a lived on boat. It's something I have not done before or anything remotely similar so I'm well out of my comfort and confidence zone.
I'm really struggling finding a definite guide as to the correct regulations I need to be following or even any best practice guides. If anyone can offer any experienced advice in this field I would be most grateful, even a finger pointing in the right direction would be great.
I'll refrain from posting detailed info about the job until an experienced mind pops along as it might be a bit much.

The installation on the boat is nothing special- just to bs7671
As long as it’s connected to a supply conforming to section 709, marinas and similar locations.

Section 709 shows the supply cable on the boat, and special regards to metal parts in contact with water.

I think you have to carefull that you dont connect the metal hull to earth as it can course corosion i think , sorry to be vage on it but i remember it being talked about back when i was in college , worth looking into.

Ok, bit more info.

Won't be connected to a shore hook up, but will have the capability to be.
Boat is a steel hull
Will be powered via solar panels charging 12V batteries.
12V and/or 230V (via inverter) will be used for lighting and power with a 24V system for the engine room solely for the engine start operation.

I think you have to carefull that you dont connect the metal hull to earth as it can course corosion i think , sorry to be vage on it but i remember it being talked about back when i was in college , worth looking into.

Yes, have heard about galvanic isolators needed when hooked up to shore supplies, need to research this a bit more....

If its a canal barge, you take it on the right hand side, and not the left when "driving" it along.

I took a family members boat along the Union Canal in Edinburgh from the centre out to the bypass. There's an aquaduct crosses the 4 lanes of the bypass... my kids on the bow waving at the drivers below.
electrical installation on a floating dwelling IMG_3318.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
electrical installation on a floating dwelling IMG_3330.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
Only thing we had to watch out for was the university canoe club.

The Union Canal needs a good dredging. One time I wasn't there, the boat picked up an old mattress from the bottom and wrecked the propellers. A week later another boat brought up a corpse. :eek:

Not a canal barge but have been on those before, loads of fun :D

It's this big rusty sea cow

electrical installation on a floating dwelling seacutternew5w - EletriciansForums.net

If a steel hull there are some caveats, however as the majority of the installation is 12V or 24v then you are simply providing shore power, perhaps from a marina supply?
If you are only providing a supply for charging the battery bank, the job is easy. If you are providing a mains supply for heaters/microwave/lighting, then you have a double-double insulation task, especially in a metal hull.
Don't be miss-led by the anodes bolted to the hull to protect against corrosion. You need to keep the shore power completely isolated, as if you were running a heater off an extension lead.
It's an interesting problem, but not needing over-thinking. Hardly anyone dies linking a boat to the marina supply with a commando plug...like a caravan, but with a bit of a twist?

If a steel hull there are some caveats, however as the majority of the installation is 12V or 24v then you are simply providing shore power, perhaps from a marina supply?
If you are only providing a supply for charging the battery bank, the job is easy. If you are providing a mains supply for heaters/microwave/lighting, then you have a double-double insulation task, especially in a metal hull.
Don't be miss-led by the anodes bolted to the hull to protect against corrosion. You need to keep the shore power completely isolated, as if you were running a heater off an extension lead.
It's an interesting problem, but not needing over-thinking. Hardly anyone dies linking a boat to the marina supply with a commando plug...like a caravan, but with a bit of a twist?
just treat it like a mobile home .

The idea is to generate all power to charge the 12V batteries from solar panels. No available shore hook up at the mooring location. Inverter will be present to provide 230V for a fridge and telly, possibly games console too for the kids.

I think I am over thinking it a bit maybe but was already thinking along the lines of a double insulated system.

Reply to electrical installation on a floating dwelling in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock