Discuss Electrical sockets compromising tanking system? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi
We have had our single garage damp proofed (tanking system) it took a a good few months to work due to the amount of damp present(garage used to flood over time - back wall attaches to neighbours elevated garden 2/3 of the wall is agains ground).
we’ve had the tanking done and it has worked.
we have then had it converted into a room, the problem we have no is we’re concerned the tanking system has been breached, the electrical back boxes have been placed in the wall (so obvisojly there’s ahole in the wall where the box has gone) this has not been tanked.
I read online that dry line boxes are recommended Or the whole needed to be made tanked then the box glued in? Would this be correct?
also the skirting board has been drilled in with 8cm nails which we have measured goes straight through into the wall again penetrating the tanking system.
is this likely to cause problems with the tanking system and risk with the electrics due to the damp/water?

I think the first thing to do would be to call out the company that did the damp proofing and ask there opinion.

If need be, a quote to rectify any problems or a report stating the issues created by the new building works will assist in making any claim against the builders.

Hi

The electrition did know about the tanking but was working as a sub contractor for the guy who actually put the tanking system on, he told him where to put the sockets.
there was defiantly no tanking slurs placed behind the back boxes.

we didn’t think anything of it at the time it’s only recently as the project in nearing completion we were thinks where we could put things on the walls ourself then realised about the risk of damaging the tanking

As above, I would direct your concerns to the main contractor.
Hopefully the work comes with a guarantee backed by a trade body like the federation of master builders or similar.

Hi
We have had our single garage damp proofed (tanking system) it took a a good few months to work due to the amount of damp present(garage used to flood over time - back wall attaches to neighbours elevated garden 2/3 of the wall is agains ground).
we’ve had the tanking done and it has worked.
we have then had it converted into a room, the problem we have no is we’re concerned the tanking system has been breached, the electrical back boxes have been placed in the wall (so obvisojly there’s ahole in the wall where the box has gone) this has not been tanked.
I read online that dry line boxes are recommended Or the whole needed to be made tanked then the box glued in? Would this be correct?
also the skirting board has been drilled in with 8cm nails which we have measured goes straight through into the wall again penetrating the tanking system.
is this likely to cause problems with the tanking system and risk with the electrics due to the damp/water?
I didan installation years back and the tanking firm supplied special plugs that sealed the tanking membrane as well as providing a decent fixing.

I think the first thing to do would be to call out the company that did the damp proofing and ask there opinion.

If need be, a quote to rectify any problems or a report stating the issues created by the new building works will assist in making any claim against the builders.
[/QUOTE
As above, I would direct your concerns to the main contractor.
Hopefully the work comes with a guarantee backed by a trade body like the federation of master builders or similar.
Brill thanks for the advise :)

What type of tanking has been applied/installed?

Is it a painted on solution, a chemical impregnation or the plastic sheets attached to the walls and floor?
[automerge]1593074884[/automerge]
I didan installation years back and the tanking firm supplied special plugs that sealed the tanking membrane as well as providing a decent fixing.

Yes, I've had similar experience with the plastic sheet type tanking systems. They give you the special fixings, sealant and tapes, and will show you the correct way to install them if you ask/need.

Personally I prefer the approach of avoiding making any holes in it as much as possible.

What type of tanking has been applied/installed?

Is it a painted on solution, a chemical impregnation or the plastic sheets attached to the walls and floor?
[automerge]1593074884[/automerge]

Yes, I've had similar experience with the plastic sheet type tanking systems. They give you the special fixings, sealant and tapes, and will show you the correct way to install them if you ask/need.

Personally I prefer the approach of avoiding making any holes in it as much as possible.

Hi

They used KA tanking slurry.
The photo is when they started the tanking, does not show the full extent of the garage walls, but just an idea.
The plaster/Dry wall/flooring etc is all in now as well - but sockets were added after the tanking.

Attachments

• Electrical sockets compromising tanking system? tankin - EletriciansForums.net
    tanking.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 19
If back boxes etc have been sunk into the wall, how is the cable run to them? Is there some form of ducting already installed and incorporated in the tanking? If so would have thought back boxes should have been taken into account at the same time.

If the back boxes have been sunk in the wall and compromised the tanking then you can be sure that water will deep into the back box. This will cause future problems.
As above, you’ll need the tanking companyto assess the issue and suggest how if may be resolved.

Reply to Electrical sockets compromising tanking system? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock