Discuss Emergency lights off local circuits in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
We are installing electrics in a recyling warehouse,its a big building with over 1200 amps supplying,separate dbs.Because of distances to the far end of the buiding,the high bay lights are cabled in 10mm,then of a 25amp mcb.These lights are switched thru contactors,now the emergency lighting around the building are on separate circuits to theses,these are cabled in 2.5mm,ideally when a the local circuit breaks,normally the emer lights will operate,but because of the circumstances of this installation this may not be possible,any ideas,i know merlin gerlin supplies mcbs with aux contacts on them,this may be the only way over it.

Emergi Lite do these hold off relays
http://www.existalite.co.uk/PDF/Static%20Inverter%20&%20Central%20Battery%20Systems/Sub-circuit%20monitoring.pdf

You can get units with 5, 10, 15 & 20 inputs.

You double up you normal lighting feeds in the DB and take it to this unit L&N. If anyone of them fails the contactor will operate.

If you are using self-contained fittings, you can run your charging circuit through the N/O contacts.

So if any one of your normal lightings supplies fail, contactor opens, you lose your charging feed and emergencies will illuminate.

Or if its a CBU run the output from the batteries throught the N/C contacts.

Or forget that and yes you could get the aux contacts for MG MCBS and and have a similar setup with your charging or CBU output going throught a contactor and the aux contacts switching the coil supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are installing electrics in a recyling warehouse,its a big building with over 1200 amps supplying,separate dbs.Because of distances to the far end of the buiding,the high bay lights are cabled in 10mm,then of a 25amp mcb.These lights are switched thru contactors,now the emergency lighting around the building are on separate circuits to theses,these are cabled in 2.5mm,ideally when a the local circuit breaks,normally the emer lights will operate,but because of the circumstances of this installation this may not be possible,any ideas,i know merlin gerlin supplies mcbs with aux contacts on them,this may be the only way over it.

Or you use maintained emergency fittings that are lit during normal supply and mains failure, then you don't have to worry about circuit configuration.

Maintained fittings are only normally used in public areas where people are unfamiliar with the surroundings. Lamp life will also be greatly reduced.

Oh I'm fully aware of the uses and limitations of maintained fittings, just listing options for the O.P. to consider.

Reply to Emergency lights off local circuits in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net