Discuss Fire Rated Clips In Trunking in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

From January 2019 when we are doing an EICR, how would you tackle trunking which has no fire rated clips in it which is in an area where there could be an issue regarding the cables falling in the event of a fire?

Would you advise to retrofit the clips in the trunking? Or state that the trunking conforms to a previous edition of the regulations?

Thanks in advance.

When you have been doing EICR's have you been coding plastic CU's? If so then what code?
It's your question the same principle...?

I would code a plastic DB as a C3, improvement recommended. That is not my issue though, it is the fact that the new regs state that all plastic trunking should have a suitable method of protection to stop cables falling in the event of a fire.

I dont think a DB would cause the same amount of hazard with regard of cables falling from height as trunking across a ceiling or high on a wall would cause so i dont really understand your point?

My question was simple, would you advise the client to retrofit fire rated clips in the trunking? Or advise that it conforms to a previous edition?

The Report should state facts, that the cables are not suitably supported to prevent premature collapse in the event of a fire. That is it, any advice or remedial suggestions come later. This should be in Reports now if cables are on escape routes.

Personally I would view a lack of suitable supports to prevent premature collapse in the event of a fire as quite a serious defect (unless there was particular evidence that it wouldn't pose a danger).

We are aware of the hazards of this and the fact that several firefighters have died as a result of this, so I think it's a red herring to argue whether it was compliant at the time of installation or not.

I ain’t getting into a debate, but in mho, the requirement for supporting cables in escape routes was introduced in the 17th Edition, the regs are not retrospective, therefore if installed before the requirement, C3.

I ain’t getting into a debate, but in mho, the requirement for supporting cables in escape routes was introduced in the 17th Edition, the regs are not retrospective, therefore if installed before the requirement, C3.

The regs are not retrospective so you don’t have to go back and change things on previously completed jobs.
However an EICR is not a previously completed job or part of it, it is a completely separate thing. An EICR is not carried out to prove that an existing installation has remained unchanged nor to verify it against its original specification.
An EICR is carried out to the current regulations and it is intended to ensure the continued safety of the installation which includes identifying items which have now been recognised as dangerous.

“the industry” will be pushing hard for severe coding of this because the lack of fire resistant supports has killed fire fighters who were trying to resuce trapped persons who then also died.
The guidance will be C3, and may even be C2.

It will be coded as a C3 for me. Regardless of location.

As this Reg is designed for the safety of fire fighters I see it as a Reg not for electrical safety so therefore a C1 or a C2 would be inappropriate.

“the industry” will be pushing hard for severe coding of this because the lack of fire resistant supports has killed fire fighters who were trying to resuce trapped persons who then also died.
The guidance will be C3, and may even be C2.
Where will this guidance be published.

It will be coded as a C3 for me. Regardless of location.

As this Reg is designed for the safety of fire fighters I see it as a Reg not for electrical safety so therefore a C1 or a C2 would be inappropriate.
I see what you mean, but, coding relates to the ongoing safety of the electrical installation, and thus the danger it poses.
If the guidance published by the “industry” says C2, with reasons and explanation, you may have a difficult time justifying a lower code?
Especially when the requirements for this have been implied for many years before it became detailed in BS7671.

I see what you mean, but, coding relates to the ongoing safety of the electrical installation, and thus the danger it poses.
If the guidance published by the “industry” says C2, with reasons and explanation, you may have a difficult time justifying a lower code?
Especially when the requirements for this have been implied for many years before it became detailed in BS7671.

I agree that if the guidance states it clearly otherwise it would be difficult to go against that guidance.

As an add on to this, what about installs that have been brought upto standard with the metal trunking clips... But utilising red wall plugs.... Or metal containment usin the same... Did we ever decide on that one?

As an add on to this, what about installs that have been brought upto standard with the metal trunking clips... But utilising red wall plugs.... Or metal containment usin the same... Did we ever decide on that one?
It won't be obvious if there is a red plug under it or not, so you'd have to dismantle to find out. That'll be so much fun, not.

Reply to Fire Rated Clips In Trunking in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock