Discuss first hour labour cost? - Hourly rate work in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

spud1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi All,

Does anybody else charge more for their first hours labour than the successive hours?
Im thinking of implementing this, as our work recently has been lots of smaller jobs and callouts (Sometimes less than an hour on site) , lots more travelling between, so I kind of feel like we are not fulfilling our earning potential as much as if we were on bigger, longer lasting contracts.

We do charge a short notice callout charge on same day callouts, seperate to that of onsite labour, and always charge a minimum of an hours labour, but Im talking about charging say 50% more for the first hour and then after that reverting back to our standard hourly rate

Is charging more for the first hours labour a common practice?

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Depends on you hourly rate I suppose , if you are already charging a top dollar rate then perhaps having a flat rate work out over the week.

if you are on the cheaper hourly side then I would up my first 2 hours of the rate for sure

wet pants in my area have no qualms charging £95-105 per hour in my locality so why should sparks be any cheaper

spud1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Depends on you hourly rate I suppose , if you are already charging a top dollar rate then perhaps having a flat rate work out over the week.

if you are on the cheaper hourly side then I would up my first 2 hours of the rate for sure

wet pants in my area have no qualms charging £95-105 per hour in my locality so why should sparks be any cheaper
Im gunna lay it on the line... We charge a flat rate of £33.00+VAT per hour currently (Somerset based)

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Im gunna lay it on the line... We charge a flat rate of £33.00+VAT per hour currently (Somerset based)

that’s quite cheap if I’m honest if you are a legit all schemed up registered contractors.
you won’t get a fully vetted sparks in my area of Surrey for less that £50p/h

spud1

-
Arms
Reaction score
that’s quite cheap if I’m honest if you are a legit all schemed up registered contractors.
you won’t get a fully vetted sparks in my area of Surrey for less that £50p/h
Yeah all legit. NICEIC Approved Contractors & Domestic installers. 20 Years in the trade, employ another sparky too. I think it comes down to the part of the country your in half the time.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
£45 call-out inc. up to 1 hour on site. £30/hour thereafter. unless it's more than 10 miles, then £1/mile (there and back) on top. the £1/mile covers travel costs and give me £15/hour travel time.

Wilko

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I also do the first hour at 1.5 times standard. OoH would be 2x if I was in a fit state ...

Reply to first hour labour cost? - Hourly rate work in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net