Discuss Flickering lights, tripping RCD and voltage at consumer unit... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marcus Vaughan

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just been to a property to fault find a tripping RCD. Lights are flickering. All a bit strange. Vacant property - no loads plugged in. TNCS.

The RCD protects socket circuits, CH, garage etc - but not the lights.

Anyhow, I tested the the RCD - no problem.

I turned off all the breakers for the RCD and turned them back on one at time. Garage circuit tripped the RCD - ah-ha I thought. But then it held. Tried the process again and then the kitchen ring tripped it. Tried again and downstairs ring tripped it. But now all holding. Not so straightforward now....

I tightened up all the connections in the CU and checked roses and switches. Nothing.

Soooooo. I then did something I should have done at the start - and checked the voltage at the tails to the consumer unit.

175 volts.

Just to make sure my kit was OK - went next door -247 volts.

So have called DNO.

The lights flickering I understand - but I am trying to relate this low voltage reading to the RCD.

Any ideas?
Any other advice?
It's a new one for me.....

I'll have the same bet (£5 I think) I've had a few times before - loose neutral in a tee-off joint under the pavement.

I was not onsite when the DNO turned up but they did phone me up and confirm a problem with the supply, saying voltage was ranging from 170 to 240 or so over time.

They also confirmed a high Ze of about 2 ohms.

I don't know much more than that at this stage but do know that a supply has been 'altered' recently in a house opposite, and that a smart meter has been recently put in. But I am only speculating what may have gone wrong.

I suspect I'll pop back when supply is repaired - just to carry out a few tests at the board - the RCD especially......

Nasty things, loose or lost neutrals on main supply.

I remember once there was a neutral fault on a 2 phase supply of a large HMO.
The fault was a bad joint on the DNO cable in the street (ancient PILC).
The underground joint went altogether and the neutral was lost, the fault was only noticed when all the rcbos tripped but not mcbs, so the lights and non rcd circuits still worked....only because one of the lighting circuits turned out to have a N-E dead short on it (no rcd) so when the supply neutral was lost the current found its way along the lighting neutral, across the short and back to earth! So the 1mm cpc back to the DB was carrying all the current and became extremely hot and melted the cable at the DB and and 2 feet back up the wall! Almost a fire!

Reply to Flickering lights, tripping RCD and voltage at consumer unit... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net