Discuss Freeing up space in consumer unit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys

Hoping you guys could help. I have an 8 way RCBO board with all breakers used for dedicated circuits.
Ideally I would like to run a dedicated circuit to a new combi boiler I've had fitted rather than it be plugged into the ring main to prevent nuisance trips etc however as mentioned there are no spare ways.

one of my 16amp circuits powers just a washing machine and dish washer.
Another circuit, a 32amp is the kitchen sockets (3 counter top doubles) fed off a 4mm radial.

Would it be a ridiculous claim to disconnect the 16amp circuit wiring in the consumer unit and connect it up with the kitchen radial on the 32amp RCBO in order to free up the 16amp breaker so it can be used for the combi boiler

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

What other circuits and size of RCBO's have you got?
They'll be a better one than the Kitchen Circuit.

I’d probably put the dishwasher/washing machine on the kitchen circuit assuming it’s not to much grief extending the 4mm or fusing down for the 2.5...do you have any pics of the consumer unit and a bit of info on the house layout etc...there may be an easier way for you..

Last edited:
Would it be a ridiculous claim to disconnect the 16amp circuit wiring in the consumer unit and connect it up with the kitchen radial on the 32amp RCBO in order to free up the 16amp breaker so it can be used for the combi boiler
You cannot do that. You would then have a 2.5mm radial protected by a 32A MCB and that’s not permitted. Especially as the two appliances are very high current.
The boiler will be fine powered on a 6A MCB. you might be able to re-jig the lighting circuits. Let’s see a pic of the consumer unit.

There will only be nuisance tripping if there is a fault surely? Is there much earth leakage on the current RCBO it is on?

Last edited:
as above ^^^^^. spur off the RFC RCBO. can be done at a socket or back at the CU.

Reply to Freeing up space in consumer unit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock