Discuss Garden lighting and switching question... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

dp3

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, hoping to get the right advice here and pointed in the right direction.

I have 6x IP 44 rated light bulkheads, these will be for the garden. 2x on the side of the garage and 4x at the back of the garden.

I would like to be able to switch the garage ones on/off and rear garden ones on/off individually. So a set of two and a set of four.

Am i correct in thinking that i need two 2x gang 2 way switches? One will be internal and one external.

Then what would be the most efficient way of wiring them?

thanks in advance.

Hi all, hoping to get the right advice here and pointed in the right direction.

I have 6x IP 44 rated light bulkheads, these will be for the garden. 2x on the side of the garage and 4x at the back of the garden.

I would like to be able to switch the garage ones on/off and rear garden ones on/off individually. So a set of two and a set of four.

Am i correct in thinking that i need two 2x gang 2 way switches? One will be internal and one external.

Then what would be the most efficient way of wiring them?

thanks in advance.

How you wire them will depend on what there is existing to pick a feed up off and installation method. A few pics and a layout diagram wouldn't go a miss.

For the side of the garage (depending on the interior of the garage) you might be able to wire it in conduit and singles internal and punch out to each light position. Where is the switch to be situated? How do you propose to get a cable to the back of the garden? How long is the run to the back of the garden? where do you want to position the switch for these lights? What earthing arrangement do you have? Do you have an RCD? What are the bulkheads going to mounted on? For any external lighting it would be wise to put them on a double pole switch.

Last edited:
How you wire them will depend on what there is existing to pick a feed up off and installation method. A few pics and a layout diagram wouldn't go a miss.

For the side of the garage (depending on the interior of the garage) you might be able to wire it in conduit and singles internal and punch out to each light position. Where is the switch to be situated? How do you propose to get a cable to the back of the garden? How long is the run to the back of the garden? where do you want to position the switch for these lights? What earthing arrangement do you have? Do you have an RCD? What are the bulkheads going to mounted on? For any external lighting it would be wise to put them on a double pole switch.

The garage is currently on a 32a rcbo at the main cu and then to a 4way cu with a dp mains switch. this cu currently has 2x 32a mcb's (garage circuits) and 2x 6a mcb's one of which is used as garage lighting and one to be used for outside lighting.

For the garage lights i would mount them to the external wall and then run the wires through the wall onto the inside and then along the roof beams.

Garage lights.jpg

this is a rough idea of where i would like the lights to go (there is an extra one in the middle if i decide to put one there)

as for the wiring i would either run swa between the lights along the rear of the garden or T&E in conduit?

all the lights would be fixed to either a wall or fence post, the run around the back of the garden would be no more then 15-20meters

hope this answers some of the questions.

Reply to Garden lighting and switching question... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net