Discuss Gas & Electric Meter - Same Cupboard? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
So just been to view a new place as me and the brood are on need of a bigger place and noticed a few things that concerned me, unfortunately I didn't think to get piccies;

As title, gas and electric meter share the same cupboard and are more or less on top each other - Regs regarding this are?

Couldn't see any immediately obvious cooker isolator and agent had no idea, regs re placement of a cooker isolator?

I've asked the agent if the property has a recent EICR as I want to make sure its electrically sound before our 2 and 1yos poke fingers etc etc

Could see undersink plumbing for washing machine/dishwasher bit no obvious location for them so asked agent to find that out.

Anything else I should be looking for?

Apologies UNG; elec meter, consumer unit and gas meter all in same cupboard, more-or-less one on top the other
There are separation regs that cover this, if they are touching or inside the distances allowed will contravene this.

Well that contravenes the gas reg given to you by @Corbs .
See also 528.33 to 528.3.4 and the accompanying note on the segregation of low pressure gas systems, where more information can be found.

In later years working for a DNO company, they would advise not in same cupboard. Reason being, if a gas leak, build up of fumes in an enclosed area, an over current device when operating under fault condition could cause a spark therefore possibility igniting the gas
If unavoidable, they would insist that the gas meter be enclosed in a abestolux type enclosure.
Similar outside using OMB's. The electric OMB never sited above the gas OMB.

Last edited:
Re MCB as only means of switching off Cooker. No doubt just left on 24/7.
Seems common sense to have a local means of local isolation in case of an emergency if cooker should go wrong

Reply to Gas & Electric Meter - Same Cupboard? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock