Discuss Gas & Electric Meter - Same Cupboard? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

To be honest when buying a house there are more important things to worry about than a few recent ideas about meters. For many years they have been in the same cupboard with no problems.

How about, does the roof leak, are the window frames sound, is the pointing OK, does the other half like the kitchen and bathroom, condition of outbuildings etc.

Far more likely to have a gas leak near the stove than the meter.
There are plenty of ignition sources in a kitchen.
(just remember if you do smell gas -not to
instinctively "Turn the Lights out" EeeK... )

The plug top is easily accessible and can be pulled out.

I doubt you turn the MCB off for the Sockets to isolate the likes of the TV?

I hope the plug top is firmly fixed to the plug bottom. They are often behind furniture and can be no more easilly pulled out than behind a washing machine.

So again: Would you apply the same logic to every other electrical appliance, TV, set top box, table lamps etc?

If not why not?

I hope the plug top is firmly fixed to the plug bottom. They are often behind furniture and can be no more easilly pulled out than behind a washing machine.

So again: Would you apply the same logic to every other electrical appliance, TV, set top box, table lamps etc?

If not why not?

You're missing a big point here - a cooker is generally producing heat and is much more likely to need isolating than a TV. If the pan of oil catches fire or someone leaves the roast in and forgets about it, then an isolator is much more convenient than trying to get the consumer unit in the cupboard under the stairs which is full of junk. Plus once the householder has flicked all the MCBs off and maybe the main switch, the house will also be in darkness and there is a chance that telephones may not be working, etc.

You're missing a big point here - a cooker is generally producing heat and is much more likely to need isolating than a TV. If the pan of oil catches fire or someone leaves the roast in and forgets about it, then an isolator is much more convenient than trying to get the consumer unit in the cupboard under the stairs which is full of junk. Plus once the householder has flicked all the MCBs off and maybe the main switch, the house will also be in darkness and there is a chance that telephones may not be working, etc.

All good points of course, but strange no one has thought about instant isolation of a gas cooker where those things could also happen.

There should always be at least one standard telephone in a house which does not rely on an electricity supply.

All good points of course, but strange no one has thought about instant isolation of a gas cooker where those things could also happen.

There should always be at least one standard telephone in a house which does not rely on an electricity supply.

Yes, I agree - I was only talking to someone last week about the same issue, ie. isolation of gas cookers.

Yes, as you say - always should be a standard phone. And to be honest most people have mobiles as well these days, so less of an issue.

So what’s the issue in you view?

I would hope as sparks, the risk is obvious? For the same reason there are rules about zoning in the bathroom, around the kitchen sink etc? Because the 2 don't mix.

Picture it; G&E meters both share a cupboard, said cupboard is near other cupboards that are used for storage, a good forgetful throw of something into the G&E cupboard and you have a loose regulator/isolator. I would say that's far more likely to happen than electrocuting yourself in the bath but then again; stupid is a stupid does..

I would hope as sparks, the risk is obvious? For the same reason there are rules about zoning in the bathroom, around the kitchen sink etc? Because the 2 don't mix.

Picture it; G&E meters both share a cupboard, said cupboard is near other cupboards that are used for storage, a good forgetful throw of something into the G&E cupboard and you have a loose regulator/isolator. I would say that's far more likely to happen than electrocuting yourself in the bath but then again; stupid is a stupid does..
This is a norm across the country to be honest, gas and electric under the stairs or in the same cupboard, just the norm, not saying it’s a good idea but it is common as camilla

Reply to Gas & Electric Meter - Same Cupboard? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock