Discuss Gas or Electric Heating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi @pirate. I like the term effective heating as opposed to efficient heating.

I do get what your saying regards cost of installing gas.
Cost off installing gas combi with say 8 rads. £6000.
Or a few electric rads £1000.

If your yearly energy bill is £1200 as electric and by converting to gas it could drop to £900. It would take 20 years to get your money back and then you would probably have to have a new boiler fitted due to age.

Under those conditions electric is more financially viable.

I agree that off peak storage heaters are not efficient, because you have them on when you don’t need to heat the house and controlling the output during the day is nigh on impossible. By 5-6pm when you get in from work there is no heat left so you have to turn on the day tariff electric heaters.

Rethink those figures. Gas is 1/3 of the price of electricity. (Look at your KwH cost on your bills).

GBDamo, that was a very good second guess! The actual installed capacity is 7.350kw. There is even some over capacity in there as there are 2 toilets and each needed a 350W panel. which is more than really necessary.
The walls are white gloss painted which is maybe too reflective for maximum efficiency, but the panel supplier had estimated we needed at least 12kw. Our calculation was guesstimated from previously using about 9kw via portable oil-filled rads while the building was being renovated, and before the ceiling insulation was installed.

Rethink those figures. Gas is 1/3 of the price of electricity. (Look at your KwH cost on your bills).
Yep I’ve been on the conservative side there. Gas is 3rd of price, but there is still the electric oven,hob shower, dryer etc....

If shower was converted to mixer and gas oven and hob fitted then possibly the cost of energy would half, maybe.

So original energy bill £1200

Cost heating install gas oven and hob install shower mixer £7500 ish

Dish washer, wash machine, dryer, kettle. All high energy would still be electric.

New energy bills £600 ish maybe.

12 years to pay for itself.

Is that viable. Depends how old you are.

These figures are educated guesses so it could be massaged either way to suite.

as heaters produce more heat when compared toelectric heaters in the same amount of time. Since gasis generally cheaper than electricity, a gas heater has lower operating cost. Electric space heaters are cheaper only when a small space is to be heated at lower temperature settings. i am using instant water heater that is operating on electric power.

thanks
Nishan Singh
money saving store

as heaters produce more heat when compared toelectric heaters in the same amount of time. Since gasis generally cheaper than electricity, a gas heater has lower operating cost. Electric space heaters are cheaper only when a small space is to be heated at lower temperature settings. i am using instant water heater that is operating on electric power.

thanks
Nishan Singh
money saving store

Gas heaters will only produce more heat if they have a higher power rating than the electric heater they are being compared to. If you compare a 12kW gas heater to a 6kW electric heater you will get more heat from the gas, if you compare a 12kW electric heater to a 6kW gas heater you will get more heat from the electric heater.

To make statements like this credible you need to quantify exactly what you are comparing, not just make a statement.

Reply to Gas or Electric Heating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock