Discuss Gas & Water bonded to 1 x 10mm cable? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
1 x 10mm cable to both gas and water is absolutely fine as long as it is continuous.

Continuous as in A to B, not one complete piece of cable . A well made interconnection between the two bonds is no more at risk than any other high integrity joint.

regulation number please if you can
You do realise Pete that @westward10 will ask you for a reg number showing that it needs to be continuous :). I am desperately trying to find it! However, knowing his experience and knowledge level I fear there is not one :mad:

There is no reg as far as I can remember stating it must be continuous throughout its run.

You do realise Pete that Westward will ask you for a reg number showing that it needs to be continuous :). I am desperately trying to find it! However, knowing his experience and knowledge level I fear there is not one :mad:
There isn’t one....I believe it’s written in one of the guidance note books but obviously it’s only guidance. Its obviously considered best practice Incase a clamp is taken off by a wet pants etc but from a regs point of view it’s perfectly acceptable.

There is actually no Regulation in BS7671 stating it must be continuous so you can use a single conductor for both services continuous or not.

He's right Pete Q & A of the Day – What regulation for bonding adjacent gas and water supplies? - https://www.voltimum.co.uk/articles/q-day-what-regulation-bonding :(

He's like Davesparks, hardly ever wrong, but we'll get them one day!! I've only ever managed to prove Davesparks wrong once and that was on a technicality:D

Think about it Pete if you had a distribution circuit supplying an out building that had extraneous conductive parts. The earthing conductor in the distribution cable is of adequate size to be used as a bonding conductor as well as functioning as a CPC. This is then connected to the earth marshaling terminal at the far end and from this EMT, bonding conductors were run to water and structural steel separately, they would still be using the same single conductor from the EMT to the MET.....There really is no difference in using a bonding conductor from the MET to both gas and water.

There isn’t one....I believe it’s written in one of the guidance note books but obviously it’s only guidance. Its obviously considered best practice Incase a clamp is taken off by a wet pants etc but from a regs point of view it’s perfectly acceptable.

I agree, But that could be true of any connection.

Thanks

Thanks guys for your knowledgeable replies regarding the bonding.
My second question; I have a situation where the gas and water enter a maisonette at the front door, the gas meter is on the first floor some 4 meters away from the point of entry. My question is; do I provide the 10mm bonding within 600mm of gas entry point or at the customer side of the gas meter?:(
Advise would be much appreciated

Reply to Gas & Water bonded to 1 x 10mm cable? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock