• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Gas & Water bonded to 1 x 10mm cable? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Foxyspark

EF Member

happyhippydad

Electrician's Arms
DIY
1 x 10mm cable to both gas and water is absolutely fine as long as it is continuous.

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
There is actually no Regulation in BS7671 stating it must be continuous so you can use a single conductor for both services continuous or not.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
There is actually no Regulation in BS7671 stating it must be continuous so you can use a single conductor for both services continuous or not.
regulation number please if you can

ruston

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Continuous as in A to B, not one complete piece of cable . A well made interconnection between the two bonds is no more at risk than any other high integrity joint.

Strima

Electrician's Arms
There is no reg as far as I can remember stating it must be continuous throughout its run.

Leesparkykent

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Trainee Access
You do realise Pete that Westward will ask you for a reg number showing that it needs to be continuous :). I am desperately trying to find it! However, knowing his experience and knowledge level I fear there is not one :mad:
There isn’t one....I believe it’s written in one of the guidance note books but obviously it’s only guidance. Its obviously considered best practice Incase a clamp is taken off by a wet pants etc but from a regs point of view it’s perfectly acceptable.

happyhippydad

Electrician's Arms
DIY
He's right Pete Q & A of the Day – What regulation for bonding adjacent gas and water supplies? - https://www.voltimum.co.uk/articles/q-day-what-regulation-bonding :(

He's like Davesparks, hardly ever wrong, but we'll get them one day!! I've only ever managed to prove Davesparks wrong once and that was on a technicality:D

Leesparkykent

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Trainee Access
Think about it Pete if you had a distribution circuit supplying an out building that had extraneous conductive parts. The earthing conductor in the distribution cable is of adequate size to be used as a bonding conductor as well as functioning as a CPC. This is then connected to the earth marshaling terminal at the far end and from this EMT, bonding conductors were run to water and structural steel separately, they would still be using the same single conductor from the EMT to the MET.....There really is no difference in using a bonding conductor from the MET to both gas and water.

ruston

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
There isn’t one....I believe it’s written in one of the guidance note books but obviously it’s only guidance. Its obviously considered best practice Incase a clamp is taken off by a wet pants etc but from a regs point of view it’s perfectly acceptable.
I agree, But that could be true of any connection.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Thanks

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.