Discuss Gas bond outside 600mm in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
evening everyone . Quick question here I’ve recently took over a job that a friend of mine first fixed it’s a 3 bed semi house rewire. I don’t usually do this but he’s recently folded he’s business because of a job he’s got so no longer registered. I know he’s workmanship is to a good standard so don’t mind helping him out. Now the question is he’s left the earth cable to attach to the gas pipe at the boiler instead of running it within 600mm of point of entry. Now he says he couldn’t get it to that part of the house without difficulty . The guy who owns the house is a gas engineer and will not accept under any circumstance the bonding not being within 600mm . Now in my mind I can’t see how it makes any difference whatsoever in it being bonded at the boiler as long as it’s stated on the cert . As far as safety is concerned it doesn’t make a difference but I can’t seem to get through to him about this . What would you guys do in this circumstance

you are not responsible if the previous spark didn't put it in the right place. "Near enough" isn't good enough

What that means is the customer will still have to pay you to put it right.

you are not responsible if the previous spark didn't put it in the right place. "Near enough" isn't good enough

What that means is the customer will still have to pay you to put it right.
Still isn’t wrong though is it if you think about the reason why it’s bonded it doesn’t matter where it’s bonded at it

evening everyone . Quick question here I’ve recently took over a job that a friend of mine first fixed it’s a 3 bed semi house rewire. I don’t usually do this but he’s recently folded he’s business because of a job he’s got so no longer registered. I know he’s workmanship is to a good standard so don’t mind helping him out. Now the question is he’s left the earth cable to attach to the gas pipe at the boiler instead of running it within 600mm of point of entry. Now he says he couldn’t get it to that part of the house without difficulty . The guy who owns the house is a gas engineer and will not accept under any circumstance the bonding not being within 600mm . Now in my mind I can’t see how it makes any difference whatsoever in it being bonded at the boiler as long as it’s stated on the cert . As far as safety is concerned it doesn’t make a difference but I can’t seem to get through to him about this . What would you guys do in this circumstance
Is it definitely extraneous ?

Is the pipework continuous ?

The main protective bonding connection to any extraneous-conductive-part such as gas, water or
other metallic pipework or service shall be made as near as practicable to the point of entry of that part into the
premises.

Where there is a meter, isolation point or union, the connection shall be made to the consumer’s hard metal
pipework and before any branch pipework.

Where practicable, the connection shall be made within 600 mm of the
meter outlet union or at the point of entry to the building if the meter is external.

Last edited:
Is it definitely extraneous ?

Is the pipework continuous ?

The main protective bonding connection to any extraneous-conductive-part such as gas, water or
other metallic pipework or service shall be made as near as practicable to the point of entry of that part into the
premises. Where there is a meter, isolation point or union, the connection shall be made to the consumer’s hard metal
pipework and before any branch pipework. Where practicable the connection shall be made within 600 mm of the
meter outlet union or at the point of entry to the building if the meter is external.
Yes it’s extraneous
And yes it continuous
I know it needs bonded it’s just the fact that if it’s bonded at the boiler it will do the same job as it would if it’s bonded in the gas meter .

I would need to check, but AFIK the regs require bonding after the meter and as close as practical to the entry point, and before any branches in the pipe work.

If the boiler is the first, or only, gas appliance then bonding at its location is good enough electrically as you won't have another gas appliance at any different voltage due to a lack of good conductivity at a T-joint.

“As near as practicable”

That’s the thing…. You can put it as near as possible…. But if you can put it closer to the within the 600mm, you should.

Whether it makes any difference safety wise doesn’t matter. Stick to the regs.

It doesn't really matter what an electrician thinks about gas bonding, any gas engineer arriving on-site will be expecting to find bonding close to the meter, it is in their regs, unlike BS7671, their regs are not negotiable.
I have seen bonding run outside of the property if that helps.
I see that point . I’m going to have to run a new cable into the meter then at my cost. more than likely as I’ve finished the job now

Reply to Gas bond outside 600mm in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net