Discuss Getting New Zealand or Australia registered in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi my name is Sean and my wife, son and I are in the process of moving to NZ. I am 15 points short on my EOI because im not registered with the NZ Electrical board. I am qualified withElectrical Portable ApplianceTesting C&G 2377-12, 17th edition IEE wiringregulations C&G 2382-10, PartP Full scope levels A,B,C, & D and a Part P Defined scope levels B& C. I have worked as an electrician and general maintenance including site supervisor. My wife is an OccupationalTherapist and looking for jobs to. Would it be easy for us to just move out there, secure a job and then get a work permit? We have visited the country a couple of years ago and decided that NZ is the place we would like to bring up our kids. Any advice would be very much welcomed. I hope you are enjoying your work and lifestyle. Thanks, Sean

I'm currently working in NZ and all companys are desperate for sparkeys in the Christchurch area. I got offered 3 jobs just asking people on the street who had electrical on the side of thir vans. The company I chose are paying $25+ and are looking for hard working poms. Getting registered is easy. As long as you have a well know qualifacation in the uk, i.e. level 3 completed apprentaship or similar and + 4 years experience then your sorted. Just keep a detailed note of what you've done as far experience goes and get a previouse employer to sign for it.

Sean, afraid your skills from what you listed wouldn't be of any use as registering as an Electrician in NZ, sorry bud.

From what i can see you have just two city and guilds, PAT testing and the UK regs, Part P is not a qualification, its a building standard (even here its not a qualification). So i am assuming you have no formal electrical qualifications such as apprenticeship or 236 / 2380 or its newer equivilant? Because the Part P knowledge and the UK regs are obviously no use in a different country with different regs, so thats leave you with just the PAT certificate, and all that will give you in NZ is a foot in the door maybe as a appliance tester in NZ, but then you'd still need the NZ regs exam first.

You will need a 4yr apprenticeship AND an NVQ as an Electrician to become registered in NZ as an electrician and even then there are still two NZ exams you would have to sit before being allowed to register there. With your PAT certificate you maybe able to get in NZ and sit the two NZ exams, and work as a appliance tester but only after the two NZ exams been sat and passed first and only as a guy testing kettles and the like.

Sorry i don't bring good news Sean, but no point lying, with the qualifications you list, the NZ board (EWRB) wouldn't be of any use to you right now, and from am EOI point of view, your city and guilds wont get you any points at all.

All the requirements are here: http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/content/overseas.html

Myself i had a mission with becoming registered and only managed it after being in NZ for 6mths and sitting there exams etc first (and i have a UK 5yr electrical apprenticeship and HND in electrical engineering!) so i have a good idea whats involved in getting NZ electrical registration.

I would suggest you either if you can claim points for your wifes career? Or just wing it and get to NZ and find some work and take it from there..Sorry.

Last edited:
Thankyou very much for your honesty it means alot us both. We are trying hard to secure a job for my wife first as the primary applicant and as you say if we get in to NZ I will wing it with job interviews. Take care buddy and all the best.

Hi can the two NZ exams be sat in UK?(electrical theory and regs?) I have also read about a practical assessment and CPR first aid safe working practise, are they all required to get your license?
I have 20 years experience, full apprenticeship, 17th edition, 2391 testing, NICEIC QS for my current employer but there just seems a lot of different sites/forums telling you different things.
Went to see a visa agent who said sparks are on the wanted list and we could get a visa on our points, then as we were leaving he said i would need a job offer first!
Any advise greatly received thanks

Reply to Getting New Zealand or Australia registered in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net