Discuss Getting New Zealand or Australia registered in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

timwhatley

Hi Guys
I'm a 23 year old looking to go to either NZ or Oz and was wondering how hard it is to become registered for one of the 2 countries. I would preferably like to get in with one of the mining companies and eventually get sponsored.
Just wondering if anyone knows how its best to go about getting registered or any good contacts for the mines.

Any help much appreciated thanks

Hi tim,
I moved to aussy from n. Ireland 2 years ago when I was 22 and then moved to Auckland after 1 year were i still am, to start with if you want to stand a chance of getting a job in the mines PLC/SCADA course is highly desired along with a HV switching ticket, the competition is pretty fierce as everyone wants to work in the mines $3000+ per week, its long hours 12hours per day on roosters like 12days on 9days off, and mainly FIFO. Best place to get it is in western Australia or Queensland. Working as a commercial sparky will still get you a good wage average off about $35aud ph (24pounds ph)

As for new zealand the wages are significantly less between $23 - $28 NZD, to get registration in NZ you have to apply to the EWRB for a practising licence, if that is granted then the regulations course (1week course) and practical course (1week) have to be taking, it is a very expensive proccess and some of the larger electrical companies will take you on as a non reg. spark only if they have an EL12 CERT.

hope this helped a bit give us a shout if you need more info

If you read March edition of the Professional Electrician there is a guy writing about the whoes of getting a sparks card in Aussie plus he says you have to pay £800 to take their exam and you have to work alongside a supervisor for 2 years at the cost of £20,000 makes you think what state our trade would be in if we played the protectionism card the Aussies played to the eastern Europeans with dodgy grade cards and even Aussie & NZ sparks who enter our country

I'm currently working in NZ and all companys are desperate for sparkeys in the Christchurch area. I got offered 3 jobs just asking people on the street who had electrical on the side of thir vans. The company I chose are paying $25+ and are looking for hard working poms. Getting registered is easy. As long as you have a well know qualifacation in the uk, i.e. level 3 completed apprentaship or similar and + 4 years experience then your sorted. Just keep a detailed note of what you've done as far experience goes and get a previouse employer to sign for it.

Pap I just got my practising license and just need my level 3 practical... Have you got any tips about what the exam is about??? Also what sort of money are the sparkies getting now as currently im working in Cristchurch as a qualified builder but want to get back into the electrical side... Also do you know what firms are good ones to apply for??
Any help is appreciated!

Si

Have you worked there mate do you know what your talking about ? I know they have there own regs I justed wanted to know from people who have been there are they similar to 17th ed BS7671

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Pap! Sorry only just got back online here.... Is the offer still open mate and im assuming that you did your practical level 3... where abouts did you do it as im struggling to find anywhere!

I know someone who lives in New Zealand. He tells me work is getting very scarce over there, he owns his own agricultural repair company and has seen more farmers repair their own machinery than send it to the likes of him. Tradesmen are all trying to out-tender each other as the work just isn't around anymore. It may just be a local thing, he is in a quite remote place. Maybe the bigger towns are better, he regrets moving from Glawster now. :rolleyes4:

If you are thinking of working in Australia you will want to get your NVQ Level 3 and JIB card as they recognise this as being industry assessed and this lends alot more credibility to your credentials.

If you get to Australia, don't think that you can walk straight into a mine job. A lot of aussie tradespeople think they can after finishing their time as an apprentice or even working as a tradesperson doing domestic/commercial work.
The wiring rules will be differently worded and interpreted differently, the main standard is AS3000.2007.
The main work that is availible is construction work, but this is slowing down very quickly as well.
The best place to go is a labour hire firm and you will get a wide range of work very quickly and be prepared to work. Many of our own countrymen dont want to work, just get paid the big bucks.

Reply to Getting New Zealand or Australia registered in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net