Discuss Havin random breaker fault issues with my home where random circuits trip breaker with no pattern . in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SuttonA

DIY
Reaction score
So bought my house in june . When i moved in I hooked ac window unit in my bedroom it tripped the afci breaker for that circuit so I temporarily ran extension cord from spare room to my bedroom to solve the issue . After a week i decided to try hook ac up normally again . Never tripped breaker again . Fast forward 3 months my kitchen circuit starts trippin randomly regardless of what appliance or light is on . At this time the living room afci and bedroom afci start tripping again. This without ac unit hooked up anymore . Started to get real frustrated called few local electricians who said afci are a big issue n they see em cause issues alot but that i cant remove them. Altho one electrician said he would . Then all of sudden everything works fine again no trippin on any circuit till about two weeks ago . Now its doin the same 3afci circuits and my fridge circuit has popped twice and its not afci breaker just a seimens doubles switch20amp breaker was told they are called wafer breakers? Sometimes ill reset the breaker n use same appliances (tv night light ceiling fan) n itll trip every 6 min it seems . Other times ill reset it and itll be fine all day . Im at a loss . My girlfriend cousin is electrician for city we live in for 30 years he came over n tightened all screws on nuetral buss n looked for any loose connection or anything that stood out but couldnt find anything . My house had burnt down in 2010 before i owned it and was rebuilt all execpt for exterior walls . It has all now outlets / wiring as of 2010 . I can conform this from looking over wiring in the attic crawl space . Any help with my issue would be greatly appreciated . Suggestions anything. Forgot to add that i have used amp clamp on problem circuits and they have tripped with a max 2.5 amp on a 15 amp circuit

So bought my house in june . When i moved in I hooked ac window unit in my bedroom it tripped the afci breaker for that circuit so I temporarily ran extension cord from spare room to my bedroom to solve the issue . After a week i decided to try hook ac up normally again . Never tripped breaker again . Fast forward 3 months my kitchen circuit starts trippin randomly regardless of what appliance or light is on . At this time the living room afci and bedroom afci start tripping again. This without ac unit hooked up anymore . Started to get real frustrated called few local electricians who said afci are a big issue n they see em cause issues alot but that i cant remove them. Altho one electrician said he would . Then all of sudden everything works fine again no trippin on any circuit till about two weeks ago . Now its doin the same 3afci circuits and my fridge circuit has popped twice and its not afci breaker just a seimens doubles switch20amp breaker was told they are called wafer breakers? Sometimes ill reset the breaker n use same appliances (tv night light ceiling fan) n itll trip every 6 min it seems . Other times ill reset it and itll be fine all day . Im at a loss . My girlfriend cousin is electrician for city we live in for 30 years he came over n tightened all screws on nuetral buss n looked for any loose connection or anything that stood out but couldnt find anything . My house had burnt down in 2010 before i owned it and was rebuilt all execpt for exterior walls . It has all now outlets / wiring as of 2010 . I can conform this from looking over wiring in the attic crawl space . Any help with my issue would be greatly appreciated . Suggestions anything. Forgot to add that i have used amp clamp on problem circuits and they have tripped with a max 2.5 amp on a 15 amp circuit
Sutton first off welcome to the forum I’ve got to agree with the other electrician on AFCI breakers. Some manufacturer come up with them and the NEC thought let’s make electricians use them. This happened before they could go through with further testing. Think about this that we have got by for 100 years without AFCI breakers and the inspector wants to see them to pass inspection. Me personally I will take them out when he leaves and install regular breakers back in the panel. One of the biggest problem is that electricians to make the panel look good install them side by side and the are taller than regular breakers and they get hot because they can’t dissipate heat so then they trip. I’m not telling you to violate the NEC but I’m not a big fan of AFCI BREAKERS

AFCI? is this Arc Fault Circuit Interupter??

if so, could something upstream of the panel be arcing and detected by the breaker.

just a thought.

AFCI? is this Arc Fault Circuit Interupter??

if so, could something upstream of the panel be arcing and detected by the breaker.

just a thought.
Yes James we are talking about arc fault breakers and that’s a good possibility but it’s not always the same circuit. An electrician does a new building and installs the required AFCI and we have to give 1year warranty and that gets old to keep coming back and before resetting the breaker then checking what’s on that circuit to verify all is good and reset the breaker with no pay

Was convinced it was afci till this weekend the fridge also set breaker on its own non afci breaker now im second guessing my previous thought . Hell i dunno its just annoying . I even suspected maybe somthin with the feed as it stopped for months the we had outage from someone hitting pole about a mile away then it started happening within 24 hours from pole repair n the elec company wants nothin to do with it

Was convinced it was afci till this weekend the fridge also set breaker on its own non afci breaker now im second guessing my previous thought . Hell i dunno its just annoying . I even suspected maybe somthin with the feed as it stopped for months the we had outage from someone hitting pole about a mile away then it started happening within 24 hours from pole repair n the elec company wants nothin to do with it
With all the crazy things that’s going on in your house you need to call the power company especially if they did some repairs. From my understanding the power company has to come out if you have an emergency with no charge. What else do you have to loose, if you have to lie but you want the power coming into the meter is right but that’s as far as they will go

Havin random breaker fault issues with my home where random circuits trip breaker with no pattern . A0A11E93-A37C-4DD3-9FB5-47FAB7B9931F - EletriciansForums.netHere is pic of whole panel
[automerge]1576721840[/automerge]
Havin random breaker fault issues with my home where random circuits trip breaker with no pattern . A399D696-AF36-462B-A1ED-58D04FF996CA - EletriciansForums.netHere is one of the neutral buss

Last edited:

Reply to Havin random breaker fault issues with my home where random circuits trip breaker with no pattern . in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock