Discuss Height Of Electrical Socket And Switch Outlets in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
What is the correct height for both sockets and switches in Scotland?

I have always been fitting them at 300mm and 1370mm however a building control Officr has intimated they should be at 450mm for socets and between 800mm and 1200mm for switches.

Is this the case?

well he is taking the same height as Part P of the building regs, which as you know, does not apply in Scotland

Even under Part P, these regs only apply to new builds, and then only to rooms normally used by visitors (unlless the property is for specifically for a disabled person) so they do not apply to the kitchen or garage

BS7671 does not specify height of switches and sockets (to my knowledge)

Should be left to people with common sense and not some jumped up T*** in Westminster trying to make a name for themselves.:mad:

The Scottish Building Standards Crowd Says It Should Be These New Heights. This Is A Top Floor Flat With No Lift Really Suitable For A Disabled Person Aaaaarrrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Just for info; OSG16th does make reference to Building regs and switches etc must be between 450 and 1200 mm. Does this apply to extra sockets installed? On the point of mounting heights; haven't read the 17th yet as have just done my 2391 to the 16th and didn't want to get even more confused!! Do consumer units now have to be fitted between 450 -1200 and, if so, will this not leave them open to damage by knocks and bumps??

Jeremy

I have asked the building control officer a couple of questions

Can you answer a couple of questions for me please?

I have been asked to provide a quotation for a rewire of a flat in Haymarket and all the existing sockets are on a beautiful big skirting board, the client wishes all the sockets to be at this level (about 100mm from floor level). Can I do this or have they all to go at a minimum of 400mm as per 4.8.5 or does aesthetics of the room come into it?

Is there any time when there is a relaxation of these heights for electrical outlets?

I will post his answers when I get a reply:)

As i have said previously, the building regs requirements only apply to new builds

If you are refurbing this flat, it is quite acceptable to keep sockets switches etc at their existing height providing that they are "no less accessible than they were previously" - this generally applies to things like CU's, I have seen a building inspector pick up a job where the CU ended up in a cupboard under the stairs after an extension was built, where it was wall mounted previously

so as long as your switches / sockets dont go any lower, then you are ok

Shakey Thanks For Your Help

The Building Control Officer Told Me It Comes Into Effect If The Building Warrant Was Applied After 7th April This Year.

I Am Still Looking For Clarification On This From Him

Reply to Height Of Electrical Socket And Switch Outlets in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock