Discuss HELP! 2 way 2G dimmer with downlight! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Crabtree 1G 400W Touch Dimmer Black Nickel | NoLinkingToThis

It doesn't say anywhere in description if that is a one or 2 way dimmer!

Crabtree 1G 400W Touch Dimmer Black Nickel | NoLinkingToThis

I have seen the above in screwfix this morning and it looks absolutely wonderful.
According to the instructions, posted on the pages, they're one way switches.

No you don't have to tell them exactly what you are having. Part P only applies to new circuits, alterations in kitchens or special location in domestic dwelling premises

That is absolutely not true.
Building Regulations Part P relates to electrical safety. ALL electrical work done in domestic premises must comply with Part P.

By law, SOME of this electrical work is notifiable to the local authority.

The list of what is and isn't notifiable is contained in the Part P document. Some downlight installations are notifiable in any room of a house.

Some downlight installations are notifiable in any room of a house.

Only ELV lighting that isn't CE marked and pre-assembled is notifiable as i said above (post #11). The OP is using 240V GU10 downlights.

What Dillb was saying is that this particular job is NOT notifiable as it doesn't include the provision of a new circuit, isn't a special installation and isn't in a special location.

ALL electrical work done in domestic premises must comply with Part P.

All electrical work done in domestic dwellings must comply with BS 7671:2008. Complying with Part P means notifying to LABC when required to.

Last edited by a moderator:
look on tlc direct website, you can get Master and slave dimmers made by varilight in their IQ range
these also have a remote control option, also how about using LED's? bit pricier but you wont have to worry about the wattage, as you could use 9 or 11 watt lamps, just make sure you get compatible lamps and switches.

i too would go with GU10 LEDs. ( 5watt 0r 7watt ) but make sure that they're dimmable and the dimmers are suitable for LEDs

Only ELV lighting that isn't CE marked and pre-assembled is notifiable as i said above (post #11). The OP is using 240V GU10 downlights.

What Dillb was saying is that this particular job is NOT notifiable as it doesn't include the provision of a new circuit, isn't a special installation and isn't in a special location.

All electrical work done in domestic dwellings must comply with BS 7671:2008. Complying with Part P means notifying to LABC when required to.

I don't want to be pedantic, as I am new around here, but I run across this confusion a lot.

You and dillb should read what the regulation says. In particular P1.
P1 says
"Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury."

The main method adopted by the industry to comply with P1 is to work to BS7671, this calls for the electrical work to be inspected, tested and the relevent certifion issued.
BS7671 is mentioned in the legislation as one way of complying with electrical safety.
If you don't work to BS7671 (or another recognised standard) you may find it difficult to prove compliance with P1.
P1 is a requirement for all electrical work in domestic dwellings in England/Wales whether it is notifiable or not.

Notifiction of certain electrical work is also a requirement of Building Regulations Part P. Part P is not just about notification.

I don't want to be pedantic, as I am new around here, but I run across this confusion a lot.

You and dillb should read what the regulation says. In particular P1.
P1 says
"Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury."

The main method adopted by the industry to comply with P1 is to work to BS7671, this calls for the electrical work to be inspected, tested and the relevent certifion issued.
BS7671 is mentioned in the legislation as one way of complying with electrical safety.
If you don't work to BS7671 (or another recognised standard) you may find it difficult to prove compliance with P1.
P1 is a requirement for all electrical work in domestic dwellings in England/Wales whether it is notifiable or not.

Notifiction of certain electrical work is also a requirement of Building Regulations Part P. Part P is not just about notification.

As BS761 (along with other parts of the building regulations) is mentioned in nearly every paragraph of Part P, I say again. All electrical work in dwellings should comply with BS 7671:2008 and certain jobs should be notified to LABC under Part P.

Most of Part P is telling you that you must comply with other regulations. The only thing you must do with regards to Part P alone is notify relevant jobs to LABC IMO.

agreed^^^^^^. and certification is optional if the job is replacing an accessory without altering a circuit.

2 dimmers at either end of a 2way circuit will not work properly. If it's turned down at one end then how are you going to turn it back up at the other?

As said, you want a 2gang 2way switch at one end and a 2gang 2way 400 or 500watt dimmer at the other.

I'm always having to change brand new dimmer switches under warrentee when the halogen or tungsten lamp blows and knackers it which is a bit unfair on me and the wholesaler but not worth an argument with the customer.

I'd use LED, the dimmers won't have to be special, just get dimmable LED lamps and enjoy the energy saving.

I presume you are wiring this yourself, are you going to test and fill out the minor works certificates as well? Nobody else should be willing to test it and sign certificates for you.

By the way, testing is not rubbish, it makes sure your work is safe for energisation and safe for you and your family to use.

Good luck

KTC4.5DIM Kosnic 4.5W dimmable in 3500K color, warm white

I stock Kosnic and have had no problems. Stay away from any LED lamp costing less than £15 each reatil. I've changed loads of cheap ones inside of 12months. Non dimmable 5watt Kosnic cost £15-£17 each retail. Not sure on dimmable.

We are planning to having 2 dimmers in the room one above the bed and one at the entrance thats why wanted 2 way, is that not possible?

Do we need to tell building council that we are having spot lights?
No you dont need to tell bloody building control. Thats a goddamned lie! Its your house, do as you like.
You cant have two standard dimmers operating the same light, you want a 400w 2 gang dimmer at one end and a 2 gang switch at the other. If you cant get a 400w 2g dimmer in the style you want you can just buy a cheapo plastic one and swap the two modules onto the decorative plate (pull the knob off undo the nut, easy)

The Varilight (Crabtree brand them) dimmers are available as master/slave pairs so you can dim from either end.

Two notes though:
1. The circuit needs to be wired to enable the Varilight way of working - some 2-way lighting circuitry doesn't comply.:rolleyes:
2. You cannot use the Varilight/Crabtree dimmer in a 2-way circuit with a standard 2-way switch at the other end.

Reply to HELP! 2 way 2G dimmer with downlight! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net