Discuss Help Please - Lockable DP Isolatorfor Domestic Use in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Could you not use a 3pole fan isoaltor as they are lockable?

Thanks Dillb. Good idea - I've not really searched for 3 pole switches. Do you have a make in mind and would it be suitable (and by that I mean aesthetically suitable) for domestic use? I don't recall seeing anything 3 pole that fits an existing patress...

Im with needasparks here.... you stated a sw/fused spur in your opening post that would fuse this circuit down anyway, you have been shown by myself and archy of the option of a standard household sw/f spur by MK that is lockable and although no disrespect to Dillb here but his method contradicts what you originally asked for, can you please enlighten us to exactly you are after Allen?

I'm looking for a lockable double pole switch fused spur!

Last edited:
Mk do a padlockable 13amp FSU... ive seen the metal clad surface versions but they may do a standard white top version.

Hi Darkwood - thanks for the reply

Apologies for the edits - I'll get the hang of this forum soon!

I've looked at these and they are similar to their white versions. Yes they are indeed padlockable by pulling out the fuse carrier. Unfortunately the requirement is for a lockable double pole isolation and it is possible to switch these (and other makes) with the fuse out which means that it in effect only one pole that is 'locked' out. I've not seen one but I believe it is possible to get a bar which fits through the fuse carrier to stop switch operation but these only count as securable and not lockable (that subtle difference again...).

Thanks for the clear-up it was just getting a bit confusing to say the least although on another note when CHP boilers were introduced over 10yrs ago into the uk market they were not allowed to be connected to ring mains and required dedicated circuits.. im not aware of any change to this as if the case was such and derating necessary of a ring fuse then IMHO this should be within the 17th regs and not solely an instruction to derate a ring circuit fuse.... correct me if im wrong.

P.S. what is the make of CHP boiler, id like to read the electrical requirements myself.

Any 3 pole fan isolator will fit a standard pattress. Here are a few courtesy of the Forum sponsor Meteor.

<links removed>

Thanks Dilb - again the problem with these is that they are not 'lockable' (as far as I can see anyway) and I could just as easily use a double pole switch as a 3 pole in that case.

I do like the idea of the double pattress idea if there is a suitable lockable switch though as I can place a fuse adjacent to it if needed (ie for connection to a ring)

If there is going to be a demand for them, manufacturers will start making them.
They may already have them under way.

Have you tried contacting Mk and the like directly?

That's the plan for next week! Thought I'd ask here first. Will post if I find anything tho and thanks for the reply

Thanks for the clear-up it was just getting a bit confusing to say the least although on another note when CHP boilers were introduced over 10yrs ago into the uk market they were not allowed to be connected to ring mains and required dedicated circuits.. im not aware of any change to this as if the case was such and derating necessary of a ring fuse then IMHO this should be within the 17th regs and not solely an instruction to derate a ring circuit fuse.... correct me if im wrong.

P.S. what is the make of CHP boiler, id like to read the electrical requirements myself.

Hi again Darkwood. I'm not allowed to post the link as new member apparently but do a search for Genlec. It's who I work for, and even though the website kind of implies these units are for sale, in reality they are just starting field trials which is why I've been asked to look at on site connection.

The reason for the double pole isolator is rather strange. The current G83 requirements are for 'securable' isolation but the incoming requirements will state 'lockable' isolation. To claim the government feed in tarrif boilers have to be NAPIT inspected and it's NAPIT who have come up with the requirement for this lockable dp isolation ahead of the new regs and apparently have failed any instalation without them for the last 5 years (Basically all the Baxi eco gen units which have been fitted so far have had rotary isolators)) even though it's not a current G83 requirement! (Go figure...). I believe NAPIT are wrong but as it's going to be a requirement soon there's not much point in arguing. As units in field trials won't be claiming feed in I can get away with a securable switch for now!

I'll make a seperate post dealing with derating of the ring circuit as it may be of seperate interest to all - but I've not seen anything in the regs or guidance notes to prevent micro chp being connected to a ring?

Reply to Help Please - Lockable DP Isolatorfor Domestic Use in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net