Currently reading:
Help Please - Lockable DP Isolatorfor Domestic Use

Discuss Help Please - Lockable DP Isolatorfor Domestic Use in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Allan White

Hi all... I'm new here and already looking for help with an odd request :)

I'm looking for a lockable double pole switched fused spur suitable for domestic installation... does anyone here know if such a thing is available?

Even an hour with Mr Google doesn't turn anything up and I really don't want to fit an industrial red/yellow double pole 'rotary' isolator between the spur and a new CHP boiler (how many woman would have that in a kitchen???).

BTW the reason I'm asking is that I work in the micro CHP field and the upcoming G83 requirements will mean all micro CHP boilers will require a lockable double pole isolator to be fitted. Note this is subtly different from the current regs which require a securable dp isolator (eg a domestic switched fused spur).

Thanks in advance y'all

Allan

In response to a comment by Darkwood I've posted this seperately as it may be of interest to others in it's own right...

The best guidance is from the Electrical Safety Council - and it's what MCS and NAPIT apparently follow

http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/industry/best_practice/BPG3_11.pdf

Darkwood - in response to your comment about downrating of the ring circuit fuse/mcb have a look at the bottom of page 13 of the guide for the calcs I've had to do. 32A plus potentially 4A from the generator puts us over the rating for 2.5 wiring. The reason I've gone for 25A (it could actually be slightly more) is just that it's an available MCB size for most boards.

Interestingly there is nothing preventing micro chp being wired to an old rewirable fuse proving a double pole RCD is added to the final circuit!

Your comments are most welcome...

Thanks Dilb - again the problem with these is that they are not 'lockable' (as far as I can see anyway) and I could just as easily use a double pole switch as a 3 pole in that case.

I do like the idea of the double pattress idea if there is a suitable lockable switch though as I can place a fuse adjacent to it if needed (ie for connection to a ring)
How, exactly do these lock, please?

Some of them have a hole on either side of the isolator, which house a lock. Like the one in the following link.

3 Pole Fan Isolator Switch c/w Pad Lock - White

Some of them have a hole on either side of the isolator, which house a lock. Like the one in the following link.

3 Pole Fan Isolator Switch c/w Pad Lock - White

Excellent! That might just do the trick! Thanks for that Dillb - I might just get a gold star on Monday morning (though I very much doubt it! lol) No reason why 6A shouldn't be enough as far as I can tell but will have a think about it and post comments here

Hi again Darkwood. I'm not allowed to post the link as new member apparently but do a search for Genlec. It's who I work for, and even though the website kind of implies these units are for sale, in reality they are just starting field trials which is why I've been asked to look at on site connection.

Hi Allan. I've looked at the Genlec website before. Could you, or someone else from Genlec, give us an insider's overview of the CHP product and say how the trials are going (as far as you're allowed to). I'm sure members here would be interested.

I've fitted numerous MK iso's as Dillb has mentioned, seem solid enough and have had no problems with them so far. I also have a few lock offs lying around now as most customers don't want them.

You could always try putting a key switch in before the FCU if that would meet the requirements for locking off.
Probably more expensive than a fan isolator but worth a thought.
K4780WHi and K1040.jpg

Thanks Darkwood - good thought but not sure it would comply. Would have to take advice and/or look up regs as to suitability if the switch has to be easily operated by a consumer. Any idea?

Also did you get to see the guidance notes - do we agree about the connection via spur from ring cct now? I note that PV HAS to be on a radial but micro CHP? Ummm...

You could always try putting a key switch in before the FCU if that would meet the requirements for locking off.
Probably more expensive than a fan isolator but worth a thought.
View attachment 14102

Cost wouldn't be a consideration to most women if it meant they didn't have an ugly rotary isolator sat next to the boiler in the kitchen :) Thanks for the idea Richard - will take a look on Monday

Hi Allan. I've looked at the Genlec website before. Could you, or someone else from Genlec, give us an insider's overview of the CHP product and say how the trials are going (as far as you're allowed to). I'm sure members here would be interested.

Will have a word with my colleagues on Monday about how much I can say before putting my foot in it...

What I can say is that I've been with company for 4 1/2 years and I've seen the product go from concept to product. The units going on field trials are for telemetry/data gathering, controls operation and reliability tests in a real world environment - all I can say is that they work well in a 'lab' environment. We're all confident that this product can go on to make a big impact on the market (In fact most of us have bought shares in the company from our own pockets!!!) but I suggest you won't see them on kitchen walls for a little while yet.... Watch this space!

In the meantime if you have any specific questions message me and I'll do my best to answer.

Reply to Help Please - Lockable DP Isolatorfor Domestic Use in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock