Discuss Help with installing 3 way switch to control lights on three separate floors in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
First and foremost I would like to introduce myself.

My name is Faysal and I reside in East London. By profession I am a Operation Manager within the NHS but have a patient to do home electrical DIY project. I picked up basic electrical skills from a young age, tagging along my uncle who was a BT Engineer.

The help I need: Basically I live in a house consisting of Ground floor, First Floor and a Attic Floor. Each of three locations has its own landing lights. At the moment, if I have to switch the attic light off, I have to run all the way to the attic as the lights are on a single switch (good exercise but annoying). It came like this when the house was bought a few months ago.

What I am looking to do is have three 3-gang switch on each floor. I have recently heard of an intermediate switch and haven't quite got my head round it yet. What I would like to ask is, how many 3 gang normal switch and Intermediate switch would I require?

Any help would be much appreciated. I am looking to replace the old wires and install new wires, from what I read, for certain types of connection I may need to use 4 + earth core wires.

Many thanks.

Hi Murdoch,

I agree there will be much decorating work to do, which is factored into this project. I have spent couple days trying to get my head around this as much as I can and came up with the following wiring circuit. In essence I purged a 3 way switch in to a 3 gang unit. I just wanted to make certain this is the most ideal way to wire this setup, or if there is other alternative ways?

Faysal

Help with installing 3 way switch to control lights on three separate floors Light circuit wiring f - EletriciansForums.net

At the moment, if I have to switch the attic light off, I have to run all the way to the attic as the lights are on a single switch

Best Option: When leaving the attic, switch the light OFF.

Alternative Option: Fit a Smart Switch. Like this maybe...

Reply to Help with installing 3 way switch to control lights on three separate floors in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock