Search the forum,

Discuss Hi guys in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dazlee

-
Reaction score
Hi all!
I've joined up as I'm sitting my 2394/5 next month and thought this would the best way to get advice. I've already got my 2330-2&3 and 17th edition and I'm hoping to build something along side my day job with the intention of getting out on my own within the next 18-24 months or so. I'm also planning to sit the part p course, 2393, in the new year (once xmas is out of the way!)
I've been in the trade for 3 1/2 years now and I've worked my way up to a team leader at a maintenance firm and I will be looking to move once I pass the 2394/5 exams to gain more experience.

ta

Welcome along, if you have been working for some time and are aware of the building regulations then I would not waste the money on the 2393 as it is just telling you what the approved document P and the electricians guide to the building regulations is telling you.

Good luck with the 2394 and 2395, pay attention learn the correct terminology and you will be OK, let yourself lapse and you will not be OK!
Read and learn guidance note 3.

Thanks for the advice Richard. I've had my face in GN3 since I booked the course last month. My instructor and a couple of mates have told me if you know that inside out you shouldn't have a problem. I'm tempted by the 2393 as I've been working in commercial sites since entering the trade. The only domestic stuff I've done is my own house and a few pjs. Would it not still be worth it? At the end of the day all these qualifications just test you on what's in the books.

If you have been working on commercial sites then you will have been complying with the building regulations, so you should know what parts of the building regulation you need to apply to your work.

The only real variance from commercial to domestic is the requirement to notify building control of new circuits, cu changes, and alterations to circuits in sauna and swimming pool rooms and the zones of bathrooms.

You should already be aware of the structure, moisture, fire, sound, and ventilation requirements, however if you feel you want to take the course then you can.

search the forum for 2394 and 2395 and there will be other threads with more guidance about the exam. The exam success book is also useful (though very brief) to give you the means to approach the exam correctly in order not to waste your or the examiner's time.

welcome aboard

Up at 6am 7 days a week if you mean me!!

Last edited:
It's ok M and it meant to say 6am not 7 I have edited it in case people thought I was lazy!

Reply to Hi guys in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back