Discuss Qualifications: CV in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Does anyone else get emails and phone calls from companies and agencies say we seen your CV and we want you to apply for our job.

And when you tell them you don't have AM2 and still doing 18th edition.
They say goodbye

So you didn't read my CV then!!

I'm 47 and tired, doing 18th having done the 17th. Don't C&G 2330 2&3 not sure if I should do the conversation to NVQ and AM2 I'm being to be scared I'm too old for exams now .
I think it's one or two units class room wise
A Portfolio, someone to come out and check my work and AM2 exam.

Guy I worked and went to college with did the same course (he did 2391 and I did 2394/5 {EAL versions}) and he ended up as hospital maintenance. But he was a smoother talker than me. If someone asks if I can do something , I don't know till I do, but I'm in a good state of mine to be able to.

You don't have much work to do to gain NVQ3 and sit the AM2. Portfolio will be a bit of a pain, but nothing particularly difficult. 18th edition will be required for NVQ, so doing it yourself means one less module to cover in a classroom - you don't even need any actual knowledge beyond how to navigate the regs from index and contents pages.

A bit of effort would open up many more opportunites and increase earning potential.

2014 EAL Periodic Inspection, Testing & Condition Reporting of Electrical
2014 LCP Initial Verification and Certificate of Electrical Installations
2013 C&G2377-22 In-Service Inspection & Testing
2013 C&G2382-12 17th Edition Wiring Reg
2012 – 2013 C&G2330-10 Level 3 Electrical Installations
2011 – 2012 C&G2330-07 Level 2 Electrical Installations

Due to take the 18th Edition exam on 24th Feb (in blue Glasses to chill me down)

Training In Electrical suggest
If you have already completed your City & Guilds 2330-07 Level 3 Certificate in Electrical Installation (Buildings and Structures) we can now easily convert this qualification into the new Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Electrotechnical Services (Electrical Maintenance). This will require the candidate completing a ‘bridging unit’ from the 2330 to the 2357 which will take 1 day at our centre and then you will have the NVQ portfolio element to complete.
😞 Note 2330-07 level 3

XS Training Suggest

How To Achieve The NVQ 2356-99​

To gain the City & Guilds NVQ 2356-99 you will need to prove your competence whilst working as an electrician. This means being able to prove your practical skills AND underpinning knowledge, to a satisfactory standard.

Proof of underpinning knowledge is usually by production of a technical certificate such as 2330 Level 2 and Level 3 or equivalent.
Trade Skills
Suggest
If you completed your 2330 but didn’t finish your NVQ, then we can get you on an NVQ programme.

(C&G 2357 NVQ Level 3 Electrical Installation / Maintenance)​

Then you have the AM2 Whatever on top of that D/E/-

just sent a BEGGING EMAIL to C&G asking for help how to get NVQ3 from what i got
told them if they dont help i'll may end up killing myself in the job im doing (im getting that depressed where i am )​

Last edited:
Speak to a local college and see what they say. You may find there's something straightforward available close to home. Whatever you need to do will be minimal in comparison to what you've already done.

You don't need an NVQ or the AM2 to find other work, but they're likely to open many more opportunities. It's easier to show a prospective employer something you have a certificate for, than to convince them that current qualifications are broadly equivalent.

The firm I'm subbed into are forever trying to find sparks - maybe they just need to pay more 😁

You want to upgrade your 2330 level 3 (don’t worry about -7 or -10, it’s probably just a typo) to the 2357. There are two options, the “adult learner” or the experienced worker. The work you have to do for each isn’t quite the same but the main initial consideration is that for the experienced worker qualification you have to be able to prove that you’ve been working in the industry for a certain number of years (5?) and you will need your boss to sign a form to confirm that. If you’ve changed company in that time you might need to get statements from your current and past employers to cover the required time period. If you don’t have the required number of years or don’t have people who can vouch for your experience you won’t have the option to choose the experienced worker route.
With regards to the differences between the two routes I believe that the adult learner route has a heavier portfolio to assemble but you only need to do the am2 at the end, while the experienced worker has an easier portfolio write up but you have to do the am2s which is 2 hours longer and adds in a couple of conduit bends. Each module you write up for your portfolio will need signing by a qualified electrician to confirm that you did the work that you are claiming to have done. You will have to get each electrician who signs your portfolio to fill out some basic contact details and append a copy/photo of their gold card in your portfolio.
Both routes will require the bridging unit exam as your 2330 was Buildings and Structures and the current qualification is Buildings
, structures and the environment, so you need to show that you know about recycling and hazardous waste.
You will also need site visits from your assessor so the first step you should take is to find your most local provider and ask them for more information. Once you sign up for the NVQ you have 3 years to complete all the requirements.

Reply to Qualifications: CV in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net