Discuss qualifications - nvq experienced worker / hnc for ecs and general employment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've got a 5 years experience along with....
2365 l2 & l2
18th edition
other stuff I won't bother listing.

My question is since I'm working a commercial testing role it seems there's not much opportunity for doing an nvq. The nvq 2346 still requires a full portfolio. I don't want to change the role I'm in even if I change company. Is there any way to achieve the nvq level in a testing role without taking different jobs on?
If you look at this link it says nothing about an nvq portfolio
However it does say "you’d still need to be currently working as an electrician in order to create evidence for the practical units."
Seems like working as a tester doesn't count as working as an electrician because the evidence could never be created

Can an hnc get me a higher level of ecs card like this link
And if so is it actually any use in the employment market.
What I mean by any use is if I have a card that gets me onsite i.e. electrical labourer + hnc does going to the effort to get the other card help for anything?

Related - long term can I just get a hnc and never do the nvq without shooting my self in the foot and missing out on opportunities

I can't until Monday. I spoke to him on friday for the first time after reading something on there website. I think they gloss over the portfolio. I asked him if I could complete it in my current role he said yes. However the email he sent after implies not. It seems tray basket etc evidenced in the portfolio will be required very clearly stated in the email, which I'm not going to be doing anytime soon.
I think this is a case of slightly dodgy marketing to drum up business.
I'll phone them monday however I'd like to get the qual in my current role if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very few people are fortunate enough to encounter the range of work required to complete their portfolio on a day to day basis.

Many sparks go through their working lives without touching much of the work covered by their portfolio.

Often they'll have to take on additional work or carry out work in their own homes that isn't strictly necessary.

Trunking around your loft, with tray down to switch drops and coax in basket 🤣

I guess so. I could just install extra stuff in sites I'm on. Don't think they'd mind.
Just can't bill for the materials but there's time, space and spare ways.

I guess so. I could just install extra stuff in sites I'm on. Don't think they'd mind.
Just can't bill for the materials but there's time, space and spare ways.

Nothing needs to be too elaborate - just as long as it ticks the boxes. Better again is one job that ticks several boxes.

Reply to qualifications - nvq experienced worker / hnc for ecs and general employment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net