Discuss How to attach ceiling light clear wires in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Continuity tester to confirm the SES lamp holder connections.

Welcome to the forum mate.
As above. Take one of the bulbs out and do a continuity test.
The contact at the bottom of the bulb holder is the Live connection.

I doubt the ES lampholders are polarity biased. Assuming one is earth that is the one you need to find. You are going to need a continuity tester to find it.

Often (but not always) find if you look closely at the clear wire there is a fine green yellow colour running through one - this is the earth. Also a fine brown through another, which is the L, and a fine blue colour through another, alas this is the N.

It's not always the case of course, and it can be tricky to see even in good light.

I doubt the ES lampholders are polarity biased. Assuming one is earth that is the one you need to find. You are going to need a continuity tester to find it.

I was told to always ensure the live was the centre pin in ES light fittings, to avoid electrocution when removing the bulbs.

I was told to always ensure the live was the centre pin in ES light fittings, to avoid electrocution when removing the bulbs.

Yes that is true but with multiple lamp holder fittings and even a majority of cheap lights from over seas i always check, you will be surprised how many are not

Is the fitting new? It looks like one of those wires has preiviously been soldered to something. It may be the earth connection and may need to be soldered to the metalwork.

Yes that is true but with multiple lamp holder fittings and even a majority of cheap lights from over seas i always check, you will be surprised how many are not

I came across a fitting last week from a well-known high street name, where the centre contact wire for ES lamps was colour coded "blue" and the outer contact wire was "brown". So I agree, you have to check.

On many modern ES lampholders the outer contact disconnects before the outer part of the lamp is accessible, so in practice it is not essential to make the centre contact the line. But IMO it is best practice and ensures compliance to do so.

ES lampholders manufactured to en60238 which is the required standard are not polarity biased. Both poles are at the bottom of the holder and disconnect when the lamp is unscrewed, improved construction prevents the outer metal screw cap being exposed until the contacts are no longer touching the lamp.
[automerge]1570477694[/automerge]
On many modern ES lampholders the outer contact disconnects before the outer part of the lamp is accessible, so in practice it is not essential to make the centre contact the line. But IMO it is best practice and ensures compliance to do so.
Ensures compliance with what.

Often (but not always) find if you look closely at the clear wire there is a fine green yellow colour running through one - this is the earth. Also a fine brown through another, which is the L, and a fine blue colour through another, alas this is the N.

It's not always the case of course, and it can be tricky to see even in good light.
Definitely no colours running through the wires. Thanks though!
[automerge]1570482048[/automerge]
Is the fitting new? It looks like one of those wires has preiviously been soldered to something. It may be the earth connection and may need to be soldered to the metalwork.
I bought it second hand from gumtree.

Reply to How to attach ceiling light clear wires in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net