Discuss How to troubleshooting the Circuit breaker protect 3 phase motor tripped? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

joe83

How should i do when the circuit breaker protect 3 phase motor has been tripped?
step 1: how do i do...and then check...?

I mean , When the circuit beaker protect for 3 phase motor has been tripped. The first i check the insulation resistance test of motor, if it has no problem, what is the next step should i check?

You first ensure the breaker is rated for the motor for both load and inrush, an indepth knowledge of motor starting systems and motor starting duties is needed.
You then ask a lot of question about when it tripped.... as it started, while running etc.
You then make everything safe and check all wiring, starting equipment and the motor visually first then with the correct test equipment and procedures.
You then come to a conclusion.

There is no simple answer, experience and knowledge is needed for this kind of fault finding as the circumstances are different for each case.

(If you are asking to resolve a problem at work then I'm out you are messing with things you are not competent to be doing, get an engineer out and stop asking the forum how to do work you shouldn't be doing or touching).

Last edited:
I am responsible for maintaining electrical equipment. I want to find out the short way to detect the fault. As we all know the motor protection usually has 3 type:
1. Overload
2.Phase failure imbalance
3.Phase loss

Im reviewing your last 3 threads all in the space of a few day its becoming clear your been asked to look into equipment and do tasks your unfamiliar with, yes been a breakdown Engineer too I get similar jobs where I've limited experience but in reflection its the number of questions in the short space of time and the very basic nature of them that rings alarm bells, if you are in maintenance of this type then your experience and competence should reflect this position but your coming across now as been a little bit deeper than you should - stick to work you know unless you have onsite guidance from someone who is experienced and competent.
As a maintence Engineer dealing with control systems and rectifying and identifying faults it worries me the level of this question tbh, your previous thread asks how to read a wiring diagram, you ask how to test a TX and then wonder how to go about trouble shooting a tripping breaker on a motor... this sounds to me as though your at apprentice level Engineer thus you should be working along side a seasoned Engineer and ask them these questions... as you drip feed us info and have not filled your profile in I no longer will provide help until I know your not working beyond your competence trying to resolve your jobs with a Forum.

Sorry for the blunt approach but these are training level questions and you give the impression your actively doing the work, we are happy to help if we feel the member isn't abusing the nature of the free advice.

Last edited:
Thank you for your advices. I always open my mind to get the good thing. I am working at the thermal power plan where i have seen common faults and then i post it here for everyone discuss and help me understand better.

Reply to How to troubleshooting the Circuit breaker protect 3 phase motor tripped? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net