Discuss Immersion fault in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mike P

Went to a job today. Here is the story. No power to Immersion. The immersion has not been used since the house was built (seventeen years ago). Central heating broke down recently and customer went to use above and no luck. New boiler and tank fitted, plumber checked elecs and told him to call a spark. (sorry the set up was so long)

Checked feed and did continuity checks. No earth and neutral, supply Line phase conductor OK. I pulled up the slack cable behind dry lining (no capping conduit etc) in airing cupboard into back box only to find the cable cut through Neutral earth about three inches bellow box.
It's obviously been like that from the first fix and tests cannot have been made. Lucky the cut was there I suppose.
Is this poor finishing common in the bigger market place?

It's an unfortunate thing that all sorts of bad practice occurs in all aspects of the industry. Quite often you will find corners have been cut in new build estates because a sparks is "borrowing" materials for doing his own work. T & I is very often not completed correctly on new build estates. The first few are done right then slowly some of the odd ball results are replaced with averages taken from previous results. I had to do a random check on a new build estate some time ago, as a result of problems some of the purchasers had encountered, and it resulted in the main contractor being called back to do a full test again on all properties.

Work on the principal that nothing is how it should be!

My concern in this case that the back box and bits in the airing cupboard were in danger of becoming live especially if plastic pipe was used in the heating and hot water system. I suppose this is where cross bonding and supplimentry bonding come into there own right.

Went to a job today. Here is the story. No power to Immersion. The immersion has not been used since the house was built (seventeen years ago). Central heating broke down recently and customer went to use above and no luck. New boiler and tank fitted, plumber checked elecs and told him to call a spark. (sorry the set up was so long)

Checked feed and did continuity checks. No earth and neutral, supply Line phase conductor OK. I pulled up the slack cable behind dry lining (no capping conduit etc) in airing cupboard into back box only to find the cable cut through Neutral earth about three inches bellow box.
It's obviously been like that from the first fix and tests cannot have been made. Lucky the cut was there I suppose.
Is this poor finishing common in the bigger market place?

hiya mike obviously been like that from day 1, 17 years ago, i think we were a bit lacks regarding testing although testing should have taken place i agree that on sites once you had tested 1 house the others should have been about the same. I couldnt live with that idea ive always tried to do the testing as it should be done, how many times have you tested your own work and you found an earth snapped off on a terminal, that just goes to show the importance of testing and no one is perfect. regards dave

Reply to Immersion fault in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock