Discuss Installing Outdoor Hanging Light Fixture - Recessed Outlet Box in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am trying to install three new light fixtures (hanging lantern type) that will hang from the ceiling of an outdoor covered porch.

The fixtures come with a cross bar that has preinstalled mounting screws with the threads pointing downwards. These threads are intended to go through holes in the canopy of the fixture and then be secured with some lock nuts.

I installed the cross bar and connected the wires successfully, but when I attempted to secure the canopy I discovered that the mounting screws were much too short.

The reason for this seems to be that the outlet box installed in my porch overhang is recessed about 1" from the finished surface (the actual distance varies from about 7/8" to 1" as the box isn't perfectly level with the surface).

It appears the boxes were installed flush with the plywood of the porch ceiling, but this was then covered with tongue-and-groove boards, which extended the surface down another 1" or so.

The boxes seem like a standard octagonal type about 3.5" in diameter (see pictures below).

My first thought was just to get some longer screws of the same diameter as the manufacturer-supplied mounting screws that will span the extra distance so that I could install the fixture. This seems to be what was done with the existing light fixtures.

However, in some other forums I also read that some building codes mandate that all boxes be flush with the finished surface and that you could get a box extension / box extender if necessary. Most of the extensions I'm seeing are either 1/2" or 1.5" - so either too big or too small (of course!).

I welcome any advice about how to best address this issue - thanks in advance! I'm in Ontario, Canada.

20200920_211802.jpg
Picture of the box showing it recessed behind the tonge-and-groove boards.

20200920_211741.jpg
Another picture of the box.

20200920_212120.jpg
Diagram of the fixture I'm trying to install.

Reply to Installing Outdoor Hanging Light Fixture - Recessed Outlet Box in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net