Currently reading:
Insulation Resistance

Discuss Insulation Resistance in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andytucker

Hi i`m new poster, qualified electrician but not working as one just using it for my home.

I have installed an extractor fan with low voltage light in en-suite and now have to do a minor works tests.
I have done the resistance test an my readings are

l/n 0.8
l/e 1.7
n/e 1.3

earth fault loop 6.13
rcd operation 0.2

are these test results acceptable or do i need further testing.

also how do you do a earth continuity test on a low voltage light when it doesnt have one.

thanks in advance.

What is the earthing arrangements? TT by any chance?, whats 0.2 mean with the RCD test? what is the results of x half, x1 and x5 on both 0 degrees and 180 degrees?

- - - Updated - - -

you ask how you do an erth continuity test with no earth, yet you have a Zs reading? Also RCD 0.2? what is?

ah beat me too it haha

Could do with some units to go with the numbers.

They all seem a bit odd.
Efl is high although within the limit for 6A mcb.
RCD should be milliseconds - no way it's going to be 0.2mS.

Are you doing it right?

I wonder how much equipment he has now frazzled by applying L-N insulation test as i wouldn't mind betting that reading was taken without disconnecting anything. Looks to me as though the 0.8 is due to something still connected possibly the fan itself!! As far as the Zs value although it complies it shouldn't normally be that high unless it is on a T.T system. Looks like you have either loose or poor connections at fittings or a poor Ze value.

i removed all the lamps and left all switches on, is it best to remove the cables are cu from the bars so you are testing just the lighting circuit required.?

- - - Updated - - -

havent frazzled anything by the way

It sounds like you don't have enough knowledge or experience to even be removing the cover on your fuseboard mate especially if you do mot know how to test or interpret test results correctly!

, is it best to remove the cables are cu from the bars so you are testing just the lighting circuit required.?

- - - Updated - - -

havent frazzled anything by the way

My God whats next? what qualifications have you got? let us know and we may be able to guide you

Ok, ok, let's start again with a little more honesty shall we?

Hi i`m new poster and not a qualified electrician but I am at college and hope to be one one day. I have got some homework but can't be bothered doing it all myself so I would be grateful if you could give me the answers to the following question:

I have installed an extractor fan with low voltage light in en-suite and now have to do a minor works tests.
I have done the resistance test an my readings are

l/n 0.8
l/e 1.7
n/e 1.3

earth fault loop 6.13
rcd operation 0.2

are these test results acceptable or do i need further testing.

also how do you do a earth continuity test on a low voltage light when it doesnt have one.

thanks in advance.

Don't waste ya time Julian mate. He is having a wind up by claiming he is a spark if he asks if 0.8 L-N test reading needs further testing.
Normally i would help and provide guidance but then he starts with a totally unrelated issue.. Joker!!

Reply to Insulation Resistance in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock