Discuss Intermediate switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Guest123, This could be the solution I have been looking for .
Can you explain ‘the other spare core . I have three blue wires in a connecting box , so should I take one each of these , to two choc blocks with switch live and with live feed?
10 years back....he's probably forgot... where's Guest123 (Lenny), when you need him?

Last edited:
Hi Guest123, This could be the solution I have been looking for .
Can you explain ‘the other spare core . I have three blue wires in a connecting box , so should I take one each of these , to two choc blocks with switch live and with live feed?
if you have 2 blues in a connector they's probably neutrals, if so and you connect intothe switch a big bang will follow accompanied by a call to the wholesaer for new switches.

We live in hope lol
if you have 2 blues in a connector they's probably neutrals, if so and you connect intothe switch a big bang will follow accompanied by a call to the wholesaer for new switches.
Cheers Telectrix, Point taken. So is it the greys and the blacks going into the switch terminals? If one black is SW live , is connected to a grey, and live feed takes a black, this will leave me with one cable for the switch itself? Which spare cores was he referring to? My switch live and feed are in the intermediate switch at the top of the stairs, not at the first switch at the bottom of them. Tried various combos in the intermediate but still not working as it should. Guests post made kind of sense but didnt understand which spare cores he was on about . Cheers for your reply

Cheers Telectrix, Point taken. So is it the greys and the blacks going into the switch terminals? If one black is SW live , is connected to a grey, and live feed takes a black, this will leave me with one cable for the switch itself? Which spare cores was he referring to? My switch live and feed are in the intermediate switch at the top of the stairs, not at the first switch at the bottom of them. Tried various combos in the intermediate but still not working as it should. Guests post made kind of sense but didnt understand which spare cores he was on about . Cheers for your reply
some photos would help here.

some photos would help here.
So this cancels out the neutrals . I have two grey and two black wires (one black being the switch wire ). Currently on the switch . I also have One brown feed live , and three red in a choc . Currently , switch live and live feed are in one terminal on the switch , and have tried the other two greys and blacks in various combos . One combo is acceptable but is wrong . On guests post I was wondering if I could crimp two of the reds to switch live and feed , but does the other red fill the place on the switch that was the black switch live . Guest didn’t make clear what he meant about which cables to use for switch live and feed and what to use in the intermediate . The commons are linked in a choc block on all three switches , but the two intermediates there is something simple just off .
Have a look at what Guest says in his post . I thought yes , that makes sense but what wires goes in the switch and what goes with switch live and live feed ? I know many will say get a spark , but want to improve my knowledge , if only for myself . Nothing has gone bang yet and the main board hasn’t kicked out once . I know my limits . I’m not a mug with electricity . This is why I am asking .

Have a look at what Guest says in his post . I thought yes , that makes sense but what wires goes in the switch and what goes with switch live and live feed ? I know many will say get a spark , but want to improve my knowledge , if only for myself . Nothing has gone bang yet and the main board hasn’t kicked out once . I know my limits . I’m not a mug with electricity . This is why I am asking .
Sorry mate but learning alone, without a teacher, trying to trace live cables to solve a circuit problem sounds like nothing more than a mug waiting for an accident to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry mate but learning alone, without a teacher, trying to trace live cables to solve a circuit problem sounds like nothing more than a mug waiting for an accident to happen.
Quite right to mate . ANE across the country are full of mug DIY ers like me joining forums like this . Fact of life I’m afraid . A 13amp plug doesn’t come with a personal teacher , yet millions who don’t know a cable from a bag chips will try and wire it . Let me assure you I am more than aware of my limits and how dangerous a guess can be . Guest’s post I found to be an interesting angle to consider , repeat consider . I just wondered if
others on the forum had tried this wiring angle, wiser heads of course , for me to consider in reading their experience.
All knowledge online shows Switch Live and
feed starting at the first switch . My spark long ago , for some reason , put it at the first
intermediate. I am trying to understand my options and if others have had a similar experience with this . Cheers guys

As with @telectrix post #25....Some photo's would help
Will do . Just to give you an idea before I do .
First switch , red in com , black and grey 1 & 2
Intermediate upstairs , Greys and blacks , switch live and feed together in one connection on switch . 3 blues , 3 reds , 2 common , in choc blocks , plus earths . Will send pictures . Cheers for having a look at my
enquiry .

Reply to Intermediate switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net