Discuss Intermediate switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Delboy247

Help needed with this dilemma I can't get an intermediate circuit to switch correctly right this is why
I have got three switches 2 two ways and one intermediate 3 core cable is run from each of the two way switches to the intermediate switch where also the twin and earth from the light fitting there aswell acting as a switch line any help would be great thanks in advance.

Hi

When you say the T&E from the light is at the intermediate also, is it the switch feed & switch wire down from the light or, is it meant to be the switched line & neutral up to the light???

Hi Lenny yeah switch line and feed I've tried every combo I'm sure I have, the client is looking at me weird iv managed to blag it saying it's the switch and I will be returning next week with a new one

Have a look at the diagrams on this thread.

The only way of getting it to work is to create a conventional 2 way switching method.

At the intermediate put the switch feed in a connector with the 'spare' core of one of the 3 cores, and put the switch wire in a connector with the other 'spare' core of the other 3 core.

What you should then have is a permanent live connected to the common of one of the 2 way switches, and a switched live connected to the common at the other 2 way.

This is the 'old' 2 way method of switching and is the way singles in conduit 2 ways are usually done, although the permanent live and switched live are taken directly to the end 2 ways not via the intermediate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, you wire the switch wire across the strappers, just as you would in a 2 way switch.

Remember, your strappers should be opposite each other in the terminals with the common crimped.

I remember the first time I came across this set up was in a hostel, and if my memory serves me correctly i think it was 6 or 7 way, i was buggered! Got it in the end though after lots of head scratching:cool:

if i read your post right, i would crimp connect the blacks (commons on the 2 way switches). strappers in to the intermediate switch, and then the L and S/L from the fitting in with one pair of the strappers.

whatever turns you on. or in this case whatever turns the light on

Just wire your two-ways with the three core (c-c, l1-l1,l2-l2).

Fit intermediate, as you would, between the strappers. (common in connector block)

Connect live & switch live to one side of the intermediate (doesn't matter which.)

Job done.:)

The only way of getting it to work is to create a conventional 2 way switching method.

At the intermediate put the switch feed in a connector with the 'spare' core of one of the 3 cores, and put the switch wire in a connector with the other 'spare' core of the other 3 core.

What you should then have is a permanent live connected to the common of one of the 2 way switches, and a switched live connected to the common at the other 2 way.

This is the 'old' 2 way method of switching and is the way singles in conduit 2 ways are usually done, although the permanent live and switched live are taken directly to the end 2 ways not via the intermediate.
Hi Guest123, This could be the solution I have been looking for .
Can you explain ‘the other spare core . I have three blue wires in a connecting box , so should I take one each of these , to two choc blocks with switch live and with live feed?

Reply to Intermediate switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net