Discuss Wiring two 2 gang switches controlling 2 lights using the 2 plate method in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently in my year of my apprenticeship looking for some help with the 2 plate method (feeding the switch). I understand it up to the point of wiring 2 way, intermediate and 2 gang with one light. But I just can't wrap my head around or think of an easier way of wiring two 2 gang 2 way switches in the same room controlling 2 separate lights using the 2 plate method. Am I right in thinking with this method that there will 5 cables at the pattress, 6 if feeding the next room? In my head I just feel like there's a simpler way. I can't seem to find much info online and would appreciate some help and/or a simple diagram. Thanks!

Take a look at the diagrams in the following two links and think through current path as switches are operated. Two way switching offers a number of options and can take some time to become intuitive. You need to think about how current passes from supply through switches and light, regardless of whether circuit is looped at light or switch. When your brain won't provide the answers, sit down, draw out the circuit and think it through. It might happen tomorrow or it might take another year, but eventually it'll all click into place.

Take a look at the diagrams in the following two links and think through current path as switches are operated. Two way switching offers a number of options and can take some time to become intuitive. You need to think about how current passes from supply through switches and light, regardless of whether circuit is looped at light or switch. When your brain won't provide the answers, sit down, draw out the circuit and think it through. It might happen tomorrow or it might take another year, but eventually it'll all click into place.

Really appreciate the links, they are very helpful. Is there any chance you'd be able to link me to a diagram to my question above? I know how to do it and have drawn it out my way, but I just want to know if I am being economical with my cable usage as at the moment i'd be wiring with 5 cables at one of the pattresses. Thanks

The principle is the same, regardless of whether you loop at lights or switches. Over here in NI we'd use sheathed & insulated singles to keep wiring to a minimum, although that seems to be uncommon in GB.

I don't have any means of providing a diagram, but (if I understand your post correctly) you could loop in and out with T&E, run a T&E to each light from one switch and run a 3C&E between each pair of 2way switches and this would indeed mean 6 cables to the box (5 if end of line). To make things less busy you could take light feeds from either 2g switch.

Put pen or pencil to paper and sketch this out - it'll aid understanding of the circuit immensely and allow you to consider other options.

Edit: If bringing all cables to one box, make sure to dress and terminate one cable at a time. It will be busy in that box, but not too taxing. Use 35mm box at a minimum and 47mm if space permits.

Reply to Wiring two 2 gang switches controlling 2 lights using the 2 plate method in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock