Search the forum,

Discuss Is 1.5mm Low Smoke 3 core Flex thinner than the standard flex? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Cinquestelle

My local electrical shop was out of stock of 1.5mm 3 core flex but offered to sell me the normally more expensive low smoke or heat resistant alternative for the same price. I have bought some but it is a lot a thinner than any 1.5mm I have ever used in the past or see in other shops now, its more like 1.00mm flex at around 6.5-7mm in diameter.

My initial thought was that the lighter thinner qualities of the flex might be a characteristic of low smoke or heat resistant varieties but I'm not so sure now. The flex has the following markings on it:

318 3B1,5 LS:OH/LS:OH 300/500 V CE

I googled 3183B 1.5 mm and didn't find any 1.5mm with as thin as the product I've bought. I want to use it to rewire an extension socket that needs to be a little longer. Any reassurance or otherwise really appreciated.

My local electrical shop was out of stock of 1.5mm 3 core flex but offered to sell me the normally more expensive low smoke or heat resistant alternative for the same price. I have bought some but it is a lot a thinner than any 1.5mm I have ever used in the past or see in other shops now, its more like 1.00mm flex at around 6.5-7mm in diameter.

My initial thought was that the lighter thinner qualities of the flex might be a characteristic of low smoke or heat resistant varieties but I'm not so sure now. The flex has the following markings on it:

318 3B
1,5 LS:OH/LS:OH 300/500 V CE

I googled 3183B 1.5 mm and didn't find any 1.5mm with as thin as the product I've bought. I want to use it to rewire an extension socket that needs to be a little longer. Any reassurance or otherwise really appreciated.

It clearly states 1.5 mm, so that will be the CSA of the conductor within the cable!!

Thank you Engineer54, I understand that. However, what started to make me wonder if there was mislabelling on the flex was that the seller himself was somewhat surprised when he took it off the reel!

Thank you Engineer54, I understand that. However, what started to make me wonder if there was mislabelling on the flex was that the seller himself was somewhat surprised when he took it off the reel!

Put a vernier on it, ....if it's not equivalent to a 1,5mm conductor, contact your local council dept that looks after the trade descriptions legistration...

If it's truly no more than 7mm over the sheath, then I would agree that it seems too small. The only way the check the conductor csa is to measure the individual strands accurately with a decent vernier or micrometer, do the area calc and multiply by the number of strands in each core.

Or, perhaps measure the resistance of the cores over a long enough length, say a 100m drum and see if it matches the expected figure.

If you can find out who the manufacturer of the actual cable is, you can check the expected dims and tolerances on their website.

Why are you asking this! For gods sake if you are clueless, employ someone how know!

EEJIT

Wind yer neck in Amp David. It's responses like yours that spoils otherwise excellent sites like this.:73:

A not unreasonable question from somebody who may not know or understand cable specs.

Why are you asking this! For gods sake if you are clueless, employ someone how know!

EEJIT
For all those following this thread, an update. The cabling turns out to be non-compliant with any known standard. Sold by a busy, established business that caters largely to the trade, close examination reveals that this product had no markings of the manufacturer’s name, BS standard, HO, IEC or HAR. It was sold as BASEC when it was nothing of the sort. Disappointing that this misrepresentation goes on and that any qualified person might countenance using it, but satisfying that this “EEJIT” Diyer was savvy enough to sniff this one out. The flex is the subject of an investigation and will undergo tests.

Finally, with regard to the specific question posted by this clueless amateur, is 1.5mm low smoke 3 core flex thinner than the standard flex? -the answer is no. A thinner sheath of insulation is not a characteristic of LSF cabling. This is largely a variable between manufactures that will impact upon weight and cost.

Be nice to each other.

If it's truly no more than 7mm over the sheath, then I would agree that it seems too small. The only way the check the conductor csa is to measure the individual strands accurately with a decent vernier or micrometer, do the area calc and multiply by the number of strands in each core.

Or, perhaps measure the resistance of the cores over a long enough length, say a 100m drum and see if it matches the expected figure.

If you can find out who the manufacturer of the actual cable is, you can check the expected dims and tolerances on their website.

Indeed. Thank you. I understand that these sorts of parameters will be among those that will be tested.

Wind yer neck in Amp David. It's responses like yours that spoils otherwise excellent sites like this.:73:

A not unreasonable question from somebody who may not know or understand cable specs.

shhhhhh with your bull plop!!! david gives some very helpful responses, 1.5 is 1.5, however you cut it or divide it!!!

Reply to Is 1.5mm Low Smoke 3 core Flex thinner than the standard flex? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock