Discuss Is a 300mA RCD protection against direct contact (Portugal)? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi friendly people,

As you may be aware, I'm a plumber, so quite possibly what I am seeing is correct, though it seems a bit odd to my untrained eyes. Hoping someone might be able to explain a few things to me as I need a bit of reassurance regarding RCD ratings.

I'm currently at a relative's house in Portugal. The person I am staying with bought the house about 5 years ago and has had various work done by the most competent tradesmen they could find as the house had been uninhabited for decades and was in a poor state of repair. This is not the Algarve, but a very rural area where quite a lot of the houses are derelict. The house itself is scruffy, but the owner is happy so long as it is reasonably watertight and safe and she can work on her garden. The electrics have been upgraded and rewired in part, with some of the existing circuits connected to the new consumer units. In general, the wiring I have come across looks to have been carried out without much pride, but seems decent enough and I have seen far far worse.

The mains cutout has a 25A REC/DNO/electricity board current limiter which covers the entire property. One small consumer unit upstairs, and one downstairs. This seems quite a nice way of doing it. Each consumer unit has a 40A rated RCD with an IΔn of 300mA (not sure if it's an RCBO or an RCD, but that's an irrelevance here) protecting C curve MCBs. One floor has a Triton electric shower which has been derated to allow it to work without overloading the dedicated circuit (installed by a local electrician).

If I understand it correctly, the overhead wires are providing Ph and N, so it is either a TNCS or TT system. There is an earth rod just inside the basement, but how effective that is since it hasn't rained for months and the 10m deep well adjacent to the house ran dry yesterday is anyones's guess. I'm wondering whether that 300mA rating is (as I understand it) the earth leakage current that would trip the RCD, and, if so, why 300mA seems to be typical in Portugal (the posh house of the neighbour's has the same rating of RCD) when a fatal shock can be far less.

I'm left wondering if the only purpose the RCD serves here is to allow the mains to disconnect when a leak to an earthed metal casing is insufficient to trip the (C-curve) RCD due to dry ground conditions, and not to protect from direct contact at all.

Am I misunderstanding what the IΔn means, am I missing something country-specific, or could this be a lazy way of avoiding nuisance tripping? Bit of a concern when there are electric submersible well pumps in use and an electric shower! Do I need to insist that my relative find another electrician for a local second opinion (not ideal as local workmen don't really like talking to women customers) or is it just me not quite understanding what is going on?

Thank you for reading this and for any light you might be able to throw on the subject.

A 300mA RCD is used to provide fault protection only, as you suggested. It should be a type S, meaning time delayed, to allow selectivity between it and any downstream RCDs/RCBOs.
It is necessary because the system is TT, which relies on the resistance of the earth electrode to clear any faults, and as you realise, the earth electrode may measure in the 10s or 100s of ohms. Any fault to earth will trip this main RCD.

A 300mA RCD is used to provide fault protection only, as you suggested. It should be a type S, meaning time delayed, to allow selectivity between it and any downstream RCDs/RCBOs.
It is necessary because the system is TT, which relies on the resistance of the earth electrode to clear any faults, and as you realise, the earth electrode may measure in the 10s or 100s of ohms. Any fault to earth will trip this main RCD.
300mA is fire protection, 100mA for fault (on TT) and 30mA for additional; pretty sure I'm remembering that right

300mA is fire protection, 100mA for fault (on TT) and 30mA for additional; pretty sure I'm remembering that right

Yes and no.

All RCDs can and will provide fault protection.
RCDs of 30mA or less provide additional protection against electric shock.

UK wiring regulations allow the use of RCDs as fault protection where the Zs isn't low enough (or available fault current isn't high enough) to afford it by the normal means, TT supplies and generators are the most common applications for this.
The most commonly available RCD for this purpose is the 100mA time delayed RCD but any size can be used as long as it meets disconnection times.

300mA RCDs are referenced for protection against fire in certain parts of the regulations (agricultural is the on ethat springs to mind). But this fire protection is in reality fault protection, it achieves fire protection by limiting the amount of current that will flow through a fault and therfore heat, sparks etc generated by the fault.

Excellent information, and thank you. Will suggest a local electrician could be asked to look into the possibility of tighter control for additional protection, although I suppose actually touching a live wire is not that likely to happen.

Reply to Is a 300mA RCD protection against direct contact (Portugal)? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock