Discuss Is this Aircon wiring install legal? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
I asked this on my own forum, but someone pointed me here as a better bet.
I had a new 3.5kW aircon installed and was very surprised to find that it was just wired into the existing house 20A power point breaker.
We have 3 other aircons that share two dedicated aircon circuit breakers, so I assumed they would install another breaker, or at least share the existing aircon breakers.
The entire house only operates from two power point breakers, so a good majority of the house was already off this existing single 20A breaker now shared by the new aircon.
I measured the consumption of the new aircon at 1.1kW on full cooling mode (I have a solar analytics power monitoring system, which also has a dedicated aircon power measurement input that this new install bypasses by being on the power point wiring)
Also, the wire cores are hanging out of the box and the box is not secured.
I suspect they have done this because it was very convenient as our internal roof access ladder is right next to the aircon, as was the power point wiring, so they just spliced it in and job done. No need to pull a cable through the roof and install a new breaker.

So my questions are:
1) Is this up to legal NSW code?
2) If it technically meets code, is it a shoddy job that I should get them redo it with a dedicated breaker?

Thanks
Dave.

Attachments

• 2020-12-04_20h08_31.png
    331.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 2020-12-04_20h08_00.png
    436.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 2020-12-04_20h08_48.png
    760.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
dunno about australian regs. but that is dog rough. the sheaths of those cables should be inside the box with cable restraint and no basic insulation visible. and that's not considering if the existing circuit is siutable for the extra load.

Hi
I had a new 3.5kW aircon installed and was very surprised to find that it was just wired into the existing house 20A power point breaker.
We have 3 other aircons that share two dedicated aircon circuit breakers, so I assumed they would install another breaker, or at least share the existing aircon breakers.
The entire house only operates from two power point breakers.
I measured the consumption of the new aircon at 1.1kW on full cooling mode (I have a solar analytics power monitoring system, which also has a dedicated aircon power measurement input that this new install bypasses by being on the power point wiring)
I suspect they have done this because it was very convenient as our internal roof access ladder is right next to the aircon, as was the power point wiring, so they just spliced it in and job done. No need to pull a cable through the roof and install a new breaker.

So my questions are:
2) If it technically meets code, is it a shoddy job that I should get them redo it with a dedicated breaker?

Thanks
Dave.
Dave that install looks RAF in my eyes, judging by the way those cable enter that enclosure.

looking at the pic of the connection box, seems like transportation of criminals is still current.

I heard back from the company, this is their response:
It is standard practice and within the all rules to add an existing appliance to a power cct as long as it does not draw above 10amps.

It also needs to have a dedicated isolation switch so the unit can be serviced and to follow code.
The current for a 3.5 kw system is well below the 10amp max.
When we are talking 3.5 kw it is cooling capacity not anything to do with electricity consumption.
Any kitchen appliance would draw much more than the AC.

However you are correct about the wires that are visible they should not be shown this needs to be rectified and I need to make sure that an isolation switch has been fitted so the unit can be serviced without turning off your power.

It’s extremely important to us to get this done correctly as we do not cut corners and need everything to be done to code.

I will get the boys to call you and get this resolved immediately.

Hi
The entire house only operates from two power point breakers, so a good majority of the house was already off this existing single 20A breaker now shared by the new aircon.

So my questions are:

Thanks
Dave.
I would guess that the 3.5KW refers to the heating/cooling load NOT the electrical consumption, can someone confirm???

He has confirmed, its a tiny a/c unit , running current will be on the rating plate (hopefully) probably around 6Amps.
You will need to take into account the starting current and size your OCPD accordingly I would suggest a D type OCPD for starters.

Reply to Is this Aircon wiring install legal? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net