Discuss JB with no access for inspection in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

barrymilne

Hi all - first post...............

Just passed the 17th the other day, and want to confirm if my undersatnding is correct.

If I have a cable (1.5mm T&E) which was inadvertently cut and required joining, but I did not want to create an inspection hatch in the roof, and couldn't run a new cable is the following method acceptable.

CPC sleeved on both ends of cable, line and neutral prepared, all conductors joined with insulated crimps and places in a plastic 'choc box' (as seen on dragons den), both cables secured with cable clamps within enclosure. Box mounted on ceiling joists at least 50mm from face of plasterboard. Ceiling made good with no facilty to inspect the completed enclosure.

Think that covers it.

Cheers

Barry

It will be interesting for me to learn if you can "bury" a junction box like that in the UK. That sure wouldn't fly in the US. Every junction box must have means to access it without having to damage the finish of the building.

Our code does permit us to "bury" these slick new connectors from companies like AMP and Molex:

JB with no access for inspection {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Whilst on the 17th edition course, i was told that any screw terminal connections have to be accessible, and that crimped joints dont.

In my experience there is just as much chance of developing a fault from crimp joints as a screw terminal joint box. A joint box may be placed under the floorboards providing that it is a short board and screwed down not nailed. Again i think this is stupid - A joint box is only acessible if you know it is there.

Barry,
sounds good to me...
I wonder how many sparks out there are still using chock block and insulating tape to do the same thing......your method is far better and complies with current regs...
randyrat

Have a look at spring operated push fit connector blocks if you're not sure about crimps. Very quick to use and can join upto 8 conductors together. not required to be inspectable so could be "buried" with additional mech protection

Yep even soldered joints are termed permanent and dont need access for inspection. - You can solder to radiator pipes the supplementry bonding just below the floor boards without needing access (permanent bond)- much better than earth clamps and cable running around bathrooms, although still need to leave label stating 'electrical connection do not remove' on or near joint. Im going to try the pushfit connectors soon and put them in enclosures rather than JB's (cost dependent).

Reply to JB with no access for inspection in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock