Discuss Joining wall between 2 flats, sockets and fire prevention in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

robo83

-
Reaction score
On site today and heard the carpenter tell the site manager that all the sockets and switches on the joining wall (flat opposite side) will need to have fire prevention boxes built aroud them.

The site manager is having trimber supports added for the sockets and told him there is fire protection between the 2 flats and it was not needed.

The carpenter got heated over it insisting it was required.

Is it?

If they are flats then each dwelling should be a fire compartment if constructed correctly so any concurrence from one dwelling should not pass to the other.

On site today and heard the carpenter tell the site manager that all the sockets and switches on the joining wall (flat opposite side) will need to have fire prevention boxes built aroud them.

The site manager is having trimber supports added for the sockets and told him there is fire protection between the 2 flats and it was not needed.

The carpenter got heated over it insisting it was required.

Is it?
Is there a H and S or Fire prevention Officer involved in this project? if not sounds as though there ought to be, rules and regulations to be followed here robbo, are Building control not involved as well? " there is fire protection between the flats and it's not needed" a contradiction if ever I saw it, one off job, cash in hand is it?

Sounds like there should be fire boxes installed.

i did some sub contracting on some new build flats last year doing second fix. building control werent involved from council it was a private outfit doing it for the developer bit like us in schemes. They happened to be in one flat having a go at the dryliners and one of the supervisors as they hadn't double boarded it or used wrong thickness and made them rip a load down and use loads of intumescent sealant around back boxes and switch points, basically every feasible gap, crack or hole that could allow fire or smoke to travel had loads of sealant in it.
I have often wondered with these 3rd party building control if they are a bit reluctant to pull people up on things or not get the next contract but on this occasion they were on the ball. after all its there name on the paperwork

Thank you for the replies.

The wall is a timber frame, the design was to have a fire barrier between the 2 flats which has been done and I was told by the boss it was compliment with the building spec.

The fire boxes around the sockets was not on the design and was raised by the chippie when pricing his work.

Thank you for the replies.

The wall is a timber frame, the design was to have a fire barrier between the 2 flats which has been done and I was told by the boss it was compliment with the building spec.

The fire boxes around the sockets was not on the design and was raised by the chippie when pricing his work.
Do you know the fire duration of it.

Sometimes you don’t have a choice.
As you say sometimes if not always. If one adopted a policy of not putting accessories on adjoining walls then you would have to include walls onto the protected escape route as these are also part of the fire protection. And yes this would include the ceilings so you are left with the outer walls to use.

As you say sometimes if not always. If one adopted a policy of not putting accessories on adjoining walls then you would have to include walls onto the protected escape route as these are also part of the fire protection. And yes this would include the ceilings so you are left with the outer walls to use.
Agreed...it’s not like the builder, architect, developer etc is going to move the position of say the kitchen, just because Mr electrician comes along and refuses to put sockets etc on the adjoining wall.

Reply to Joining wall between 2 flats, sockets and fire prevention in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net