Currently reading:
just a quick question

Discuss just a quick question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mattp9394

Hi all, i have been on this forum for a while now reading and learning but not saying a lot so now is the time for change.

I have been given the task of correcting the unsatisfactory periodic inspection report by doing all the corrections and updates to the installation.
I have two questions about this:

First one:
The cu is an old square D unit that is laied out from right to left:

main 100a switch, 40a(will be a 32a), 40a(will be a 32a), 6a, spare, spare, spare, rcd(two slots), 6a, 32a, 32a, spare

because of the cables buried in walls >50mm rule all the circuits need to be placed on an rcd. My question is can i get away with addapting the board with a kit like this SQUARE D 63Amp 30Ma 1P+N RCCB SWITCH DISCONNECTOR SPLIT LOAD KIT DOM63R30KIT2 | eBay
or do i have to do a whole board change.

second one:
when i have done all of the problems/made it a satisfactory state, do i just teat the work that i did or does it need to have another periodic inspection done on the property.

By the way there are no faults on any circuits, its just incorrect bonding and undersized tails and incoming earth etc.

any feedback is greatly appreciated.

6 posts in 4 months....
say no more...

Sounds to me like one Electrical Trainee trying to act on another Electrical Trainee's badly done inspection.

OP - why do the tails need upgrading? And what does the adiabatic say the earth needs to be?

Hi all, i have been on this forum for a while now reading and learning but not saying a lot so now is the time for change.

I have been given the task of correcting the unsatisfactory periodic inspection report by doing all the corrections and updates to the installation.
I have two questions about this:

First one:
The cu is an old square D unit that is laied out from right to left:

main 100a switch, 40a(will be a 32a), 40a(will be a 32a), 6a, spare, spare, spare, rcd(two slots), 6a, 32a, 32a, spare

because of the cables buried in walls >50mm rule all the circuits need to be placed on an rcd. My question is can i get away with addapting the board with a kit like this SQUARE D 63Amp 30Ma 1P+N RCCB SWITCH DISCONNECTOR SPLIT LOAD KIT DOM63R30KIT2 | eBay
or do i have to do a whole board change.

second one:
when i have done all of the problems/made it a satisfactory state, do i just teat the work that i did or does it need to have another periodic inspection done on the property.

By the way there are no faults on any circuits, its just incorrect bonding and undersized tails and incoming earth etc.

any feedback is greatly appreciated.
infantile....

as said, regs. are not retrospective. adding RCD protection to cables buried in walls < 50mm is only a C3, and as such will not give rise to an unsatisfactory report. probably the same applied to the tails and earthing and bonding.

I don't do house bashing, but even I know that you don't have to change a CU just cause it doesn't have a RCD. Read telex post below. I have seen this mentioned many times buy I still see lots of posts stating that the CU has to be changed due to no RCD. The people saying this are just coming across as rip-off merchants wanting money for work that is not needed.

as said, regs. are not retrospective. adding RCD protection to cables buried in walls < 50mm is only a C3, and as such will not give rise to an unsatisfactory report. probably the same applied to the tails and earthing and bonding.

Depending on what remedial works are needed you'll have to do either an EIC or a MWC afterwards. Didn't they teach you that on the Electrical Trainee course or was there not enough time?

Reply to just a quick question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock