Discuss Just been to a job........ in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Spudmiester

Just been to fit a socket for a girl who lives down the road. Nothing of a job, just one extra socket in living room, and to cut a long story short, it was an extention to a radial in cupboard under stairs, next to C.U.

When I looked at CU to isolate said socket, nothing was marked up so I removed lid from CU (split load) to follow wire to appropriate MCB, and found everything to be on non RCD side apart from outside light, which was wired in 2.5 off a (very slack) 32a breaker. The rest was not much better, boiler wired in 1.0mm and fed off a 16a, all screws on mcb's and tails etc as slack as p*ss.:eek:
Did the decent thing and swapped circuits to right sides of board,put on correct size MCB's, tightened up screws, conected socket to existing radial, tested (ze .34), job done !

Now, as I have said before I dont do much domestic, nor am I 'Domestic Installer' registered, so does anything I have done fall under Part P of the building regs.

There were no new circuits,and no work in special locations, but because I re-hashed the already existing DB (no new bits needed), does this make it notifiable ?

Thanks for your input

Spud:)

Hi, being just a domestic installer I would not have notified anything you have just done. This is what gets my goat about the whole part "p" thing. As a qualified but unregistered installer that would have cost me (ultimately the customer) ÂŁ117.50 had I needed to notify. You have left the installation much safer than you found it so I would leave it at that. Having said that it should have a minor works cert. Done many jobs similar to what you have described and not notified any of them. Interpretation of the regs is a fuzzy thing!! Get me started on part "p" , I need a rant !!!!!

Hi, being just a domestic installer I would not have notified anything you have just done. This is what gets my goat about the whole part "p" thing. As a qualified but unregistered installer that would have cost me (ultimately the customer) ÂŁ117.50 had I needed to notify. You have left the installation much safer than you found it so I would leave it at that. Having said that it should have a minor works cert. Done many jobs similar to what you have described and not notified any of them. Interpretation of the regs is a fuzzy thing!! Get me started on part "p" , I need a rant !!!!!

I believe and numerous others do as well, the person who thought up PART P must have been a complete idiot as the people it was supposed to stop eg cowboy kitchen fitters etc has had no effect to these people at all but if anything it has penalised electricians who know what they are doing can't because off this stupid legelslation.

I think it is time they went back to the drawing board and sort this major cock up out once and for all.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. Having taken the trouble to get qualified after a 30 year military career (2381/2391/2377 etc EAL Dom installer cert, then 17th upgrade) It really gets to me when the "Building Inspector" comes out to look (for ÂŁ120). I wouldn't mind so much if it was an electrician, but it isn't. My personal view is that they should just make sure that those doing the installation have the building regs qualification (as well as the electrical of course). If you have, then you shouldn't need the inspector -if you haven't, then call building control. Just my view - but something needs to be done, because I, for one, am still rectifying cowboy works.

i think emergency work that would be notifyable normally can be done ? i gotta nominate 2 jobs for my niciec inspection that ive done in last 12 months,trouble is labc @ ÂŁ237 a pop i seemed to forget.....................mmmmmm.

Nice one - I must admit I have "forgotten" on numerous occasions!!! The fact is most customers don't have any sort of electrical certification for their property anyway - and they wonder why suddenly they have to have one, usually at considerable expense. All they generally want to know is "is it safe". The sooner we can get this "Part P" fiasco sorted the better. I'm all for checking and double checking work, but surely there has to be a simpler (and cheaper) way. Utimately, as we know, the customer pays, and they never seem too happy about it.

Another biker? Cool. I am spending a fortune on my Thundercat at the mo. 2 new Conti road attack tyres, new downpipes, new led indicators, new rear wheel etc etc etc. Great fun though.

(sorry to get it off topic)

bikes and cars mate, 1980 suzuki gs1000e and a 67 barracuda 440 ci or 7.2l v8. its all bread man!

Bikes, cars, boats - if its got an engine I'll have it!!! Riding a Bandit at the moment - cheap and cheerful, does everything it says on the tin. Got a mate who seems to be constanly shelling out mortgage figures to keep his Ducati 750SS on the road, so the good old reliable Bandit will be staying with me for a while. Its a good "point and shoot" for weekend fun.

That's how I think of my Cat. Looked at getting a Duke but they spend more time being serviced than they do on the road. Looking at a TL1000 next year or maybe a street triple. Need a V-Twin.

what about the ÂŁ5000 fine for doing work without notifing? revolution people!!!
Wouldn't it be nice if the customer decided whether they wanted a cert or not? Was asked if I would do a PIR yesterday and the customer thought I would just say everything was ok if they paid. Had to explain that the cost was the same whether there was anything wrong or not, so they decided not to have the PIR, although a surveyor had advised them to do it prior to marketing the house (big 1970's detatched). Almost guarentee its full of DIY over the last 30 plus years. I could probably go in and rectify it all for the cost of a PIR if LABC's weren't certificate mad!!! Safe house, happy customer - whats the chances?

thought this thread was about certifiable or not jobs !!!!!
come on lets keep to the thread .
anyone into classic 60s fords ?

thought this thread was about certifiable or not jobs !!!!!
come on lets keep to the thread .
anyone into classic 60s fords ?
mate has 3, a mk 1 cortina,classic and a prefect..............other mate has cortina mk1, came second this years cortina show, me a 7.2l 67 v8. sorry to go away from thread..............

Reply to Just been to a job........ in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock